Knotty Pine Alternative
Several years ago I made Norm's Irish Hutch. I want to make new kitchen cabinets to match. The ply is no problem, but the only knotty pine I can find is construction pine from the box stores. They're never straight and curved. I'll be using this as the face frame, rails, stiles and T&G slats on the doors as well for the drawer faces. Has anyone attempted to do something likes this, and if so, what lumber did you use?

Jim
Jim
I've used the white wood from the box stores for a lot of projects. Choosing the boards can be tedious work.  If there is sufficient bracing, you can use some lightly warped ones for the top and pull them down.

A portable buffet and storage cabinet.
[Image: sarahwedtablepine009_zps3f4e69e7.jpg]

I built a large drawer closet from crooked, bent, warped and bowed, but beautiful spalted ash and pecan scraps where I could only get a straight 3 foot section in less wide dimensions at most. A lot of planning ahead.
Maybe fir as an alternative?

Doug
If you can surface-four-sides your own stock, check out lumber suppliers like Steve Wall who stock 4/4 and up furniture grade eastern white pine; I'm sure they have some with knots.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
you can buy furniture grade knotty pine. 

find a hardwood supplier and ask. 

I get it here and it comes from your neck of the woods 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Many will even surface it for a small fee;  The Amish sawmill I buy from charges .15 cents a board foot to surface 4 quarter to 3/4"
I don't know where you are from, but I recently picked up some straight grained 5/4 x4x8's from Grossman's Bargain outlet.  I also have purchased 4/4 pine from there for projects.  As their name implies, their stock varies from time to time, and one has to sort.  Some times I walk away wondering why I wasted my time, but sometimes I find usable product at a great price.

84 Lumber is often the same way.  One time I saw several birds eye pine boards.  I still have a couple of them in my attic, well dried, waiting for a rainy day project.

Like others said, try a lumber yard.  There are a couple of family owned places with a 45 minutes drive, where I can always find good, usable pine.  They are about 20-30% more, but you get what you pay for.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Aw man, I'm spoiled down here. Knotty pine is everywhere.

You can get good stuff in the home centers, but you have to look carefully. Go down and look at the 12' and 16' 2x8s, 2x10s, and 2x12s. They should have plenty of good stock for what you need, and you can easily cut around defects. Shop around, too, as different stores get lumber from different suppliers. Pickiness is always rewarded.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(01-06-2017, 01:14 PM)daddo Wrote: I've used the white wood from the box stores for a lot of projects. Choosing the boards can be tedious work.  If there is sufficient bracing, you can use some lightly warped ones for the top and pull them down.

A portable buffet and storage cabinet.
[Image: sarahwedtablepine009_zps3f4e69e7.jpg]

Nice!
Ag

I built a large drawer closet from crooked, bent, warped and bowed, but beautiful spalted ash and pecan scraps where I could only get a straight 3 foot section in less wide dimensions at most. A lot of planning ahead.
I knew I had a pic of a project I did a few yrs ago prior to finishing the top is single bunk beds  with queen beds to fit under the bunks  for a grandkids room 

[Image: P2200001.jpg]

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy