waste of time and money - LED kitchen light
(01-14-2017, 06:14 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I've got about 2 bazillion old school 60W bulbs I'ma gonna use up before I ever think about LED light fixtures.

You can buy LED bulbs that go into incandescent fixtures!!! Your money, spend it how you like, new LED bulbs or electricity.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(01-14-2017, 06:24 PM)MikeBob Wrote: You can buy LED bulbs that go into incandescent fixtures!!! Your money, spend it how you like, new LED bulbs or electricity.

We have. 3 led bulbs in the kitchen. Not going to trash these other bulbs though
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Currious???

Why don't you folks use standardizes fixtures and install LED bulbs?

It may be a little more expensive in the short run but you only have to replace the bulb when or if it ever goes bad.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I think as time goes on that the led fixtures will be more interesting.  You can already buy led fixtures that aren't as big as one that would take a normal bulb, unlike the one in the OP.  Our fixture in the kitchen attracts bugs, and it's ugly, so I want to replace it with something that is a lot lower profile.  Other than that, if you have a fixture you like, an LED bulb makes a lot of sense. 

I was looking for hall light replacements, and I didn't find anything small enough that didn't look like it took bulbs.  I'm thinking about just putting an LED spot in the place of the fixture that's there.
We're remolding the whole house. All the fixtures will be replaced. I hurt my leg last year so things had to slow to a stop till I start turning a fair income again, but that's another story. We've been installing GE 760 Lumen bulbs. They run about $4.50 each and are dimmable with a proper dimmer. They are a little pricey but if they really last 40 years, who cares? We've also installed Cree conversion kits in the recessed lights. They run about $9 each.

This is the GE bulb, supposedly they look like 60 watt bulbs but I think they're brighter. 650 Lumin, 10 watt

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

hope you get back to full speed soon

Where do you get $9 Cree conversion kits for recessed lights?
Home Depot. They carry two different ones off and on Cree and Phillips (iirc) for about the same price. The Cree usually has a rebate and it takes about 45 days to get it. The Phillips has never been on the website but usually has a display at the store with no rebate. Lowes carries "Project Source" for about the same price. Project Source is Lowes house brand. What I have found with the cheaper recessed, retrofits is the lighting isn't very "warm". Lots of blue, not yellow/red. Just make sure you buy a proper dimmer and a dimmable kit. I'm using the kits in lieu of a trim ring. That being said, We intend to start using the GE "Refresh" bulbs (like I linked above) in the recessed cans  just because I think replacing them with a like product will be easier down the road. I intend to use a trim ring with a frosted lens for the living space lighting as the bulbs don't put off much heat..

Cree
[url=http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-TW-Series-65W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-6-in-Dimmable-LED-Retrofit-Recessed-Downlight-DRDL6-06227009-12DE26-1C100/205337184?MERCH=REC-_-rv_homepage_rr-_-NA-_-205337184-_-N][/url]

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS