Shellac Alcohols
I have read that ethanol is best but expensive Everclear is the only way to get pure ethanol. I can 91% Isopropyl from the drug store for less than two bucks a quart. Is that preferable to Kleenstrip which I now hear has ever more methanol in it. What, therefore, is the optimal combination of performance and price? Optimal, to me, means that the shellac performs as one would expect and is as durable as shellac always is (or not).
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
My friend for French Polish only uses Ever Clear, I heard Iso can be up to 30% H2O, a bad thing, I use DNA but not the "green stuff" and not had a problem.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Behlen's Behkol is good for this
I have done two french polishes quite successfully using Kleen Strip from Home Depot. One of those is 6 years old now and looking as good as the day I completed it.

I actually had significant problems with my last french polishing job, but they went away when I switched from olive oil to mineral oil. A I mentioned in another thread, I suspect hat the olive oil I had was adulterated with some other sort of oil (which is apparently a common problem in the olive oil industry).

So my current recipe for a successful french polish is Kleen Strip DNA and mineral oil from the pharmacy. It doesn't get cheaper than that, and works fine.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.