Bubinga availability
It's not surprising this is happening with all the deforestation going on worldwide. I bought some 4x4 IPE that I used to make planes and it has been very stable and hard. I saw some prices for 4x4 Ipe at $25 per ft which aint cheap.. I 'm lucky to have a quantity of it so I might put up for sale as It is just sitting around. Thieve was actually used in the boardwalk at Disneyland some 20 years ago.
Lee Valley I believe is transitioning their totes and handles on planes from bubinga to torrified maple. The description now says "hardwood", and on the custom plane builder, they specifically state torrified maple.

I'm a guitarist as well. Taylor Guitars purchased a lot of ebony forests and is replanting new trees. They are also doing the same thing with East Indian Rosewood. The latest Taylor magazine, Wood and Steel, states they planted over 10,000 rosewood trees last year. The prices on guitars with East Indian rosewood is rising rapidly. Find one with Bolivian rosewood (the original sides and back for Martins), and it's about 2-3x what you'd pay for EIR. The industry has been substituting more sustainable substitutes for traditional tonewoods because of the scarcity of traditional woods. You find a lot of sapele, walnut, ovangkol (rosewood family), and laminated (veneered) woods now showing up in guitars.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Was just looking at buying some bubinga from a guy. Is $12.50 per bd ft a good price for 4/4 material, or should I be negotiating?