What drawer sizes on workbench carcass?
I'm rebuilding my workbench carcase and when I'm done I will have a space 26" high X 63" wide to fill with drawers on full extension 22" slides. I don't have any problem with dividing the width into thirds into 3 tiers of 21" wide drawers. What I'm having trouble deciding is how many rows of drawers. In my first design I went with 4 rows 4-6-8-8 from the top down. Then I got to worrying about not having a really deep drawer so I came up with a 3 row 6-8-12 configuration. Then I couldn't figure out what I would ever put in a 12" drawer so I thought I would ask you guys what has worked best for you.  The obvious question is "What do you plan to put in them?" Unfortunately, at this point, I don't even know. I'm a pretty average hobbiest woodworker in a 600 sf shop with about every major power tool except a lathe and a bandsaw. I have built everything from kitchen cabinets to little decorative boxes. I guess most of my stuff has been furniture for the kids.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who fits this profile about what has worked for you. Would you rather have 12 smaller drawers in your work bench or 9 bigger ones?

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Papa Jim,

My workbench carcase sounds similar to yours, but not as deep. I opted for more shallow drawers rather than fewer deep ones. I have found that stuff disappears in deep drawers never to be seen again. All of my drawers are 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" deep except for one that is 6 1/2" deep for bench holdfasts and other bench hardware. I keep chisels, layout equipment, marking gauges, etc., in the shallow drawers - tools that I use at the bench. If I'd had room, I would have included a couple of drawers deep enough for bench planes, but I have more of these than I could fit in the bench case, so I don't regret not including them. I keep my planes in a plane rack and on wall shelves. I find the shallow drawers keep everything accessible and reduce clutter. Here are some photos:

[Image: IMG_4227small.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4232small.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0067Medium.jpg]
Jim, similar to Hank here - I think you get more utility from shallower drawers.  However, if you go to 3 columns of drawers, why not make two of the 4-drawer and one 3-drawer combination.  That way you'll have one deep drawer in case you find something that requires it.  Even if you do 2 columns you could do one 4-drawer & one 3-drawer combo.  But I like your 3 column thought better.

HTH

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I made mine with a space above the drawers that serves as a full workbench top sized tool well, and a gap for holdfasts. Below that I have three columns of 2 1/8", 3 1/8" and 6 1/2" tall drawers. Lots of shallow drawers up top and fewer quite deep ones on the bottom work well for my stuff, similar to those who posted above.

Of course it depends what you plan to put there, but that will vary with what you make and how you make it. Chisels, squares, rasps, spokeshaves, rules, screwdrivers all work best in very shallow drawers. I don't keep routers or other power tools in the drawers.

Mine are different from many in that rather than drawer slides, I made drawers that go through the bench and have handles on each side for access from both sides of the bench.
Hank- I hope mine looks as good as your's after the remodeling!

Joel- Thanks for jarring me out of the "it must be this or that" mindset.

A follow up question: I'm using an old American Woodworker article for the basic design. Their drawers--front, back, sides and bottoms--are all built out of 3/4" birch ply. I have never built a drawer box out of that heavy a material--even in my pantry where the boxes are loaded down with canned goods. But--I have never built drawer boxes for a shop before. Would a good 1/2" ply do the job?

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Jim, 1/2" is perfectly adequate. All mine are 1/2" BB ply, even the deep one for the heavy bench hardware.
Jim

For me I would not want drawers going all the way down and across the bench since I would like to sit down with my legs under it.

However, what I plan on doing is having a 3" drawer on top to hold all my layout tools and work my way down to the lower ones holding my planes which I plan on 8" deep and deep enough to hold a #8 Stanley or 24" and about 25" wide and have them only go to about 10" off of the floor since I do not plan on stooping down to the floor level.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Shallow drawers are great for chisels, marking and measuring tools, files & rasps, and small stuff.  I think you need to first answer the question of what do you want to put in your drawers?  I built my own carcase with drawers for my Sjobergs Elite 2500 workbench.  It has three rows of drawers in two columns.  The bottom drawers on both sides were sized to house my bench planes.  The middle set holds block planes and other specialty planes.  The upper tier holds back saws, marking tools, and other sundry items.  My chisels are in a rack which remains on the top of the bench.  My measuring tools, files and rasps, and drill bits are in a rolling tool chest.  Some day, I may reorganize.

[Image: Workbench_Drawers_zpssaeizhtz.jpg]
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Is the bench for hand tool only use? If so thin drawers just tall enough for your widest hand plane will allow best use of space, especially if you have a lot of hand tools.

If it's for power tools, you will want them close at hand, so drawers deep enough for the biggest tool you use often. Tools you don't use often can be stored in a cabinet, and you walk to it. Those you use often, will be there waiting on you.

Blended, then you are the only person who can answer that because you know what you use the most. Storage at a bench should be the items you touch the most.

My Uncle once blessed me with a wisdom about things you build. If it doesn't work out, you always are assured of 2 things. A warm cozy fire as you work out how to make it again. Next time it will be perfect
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
First off--those bench cabinets look great, obviously very talented.

Have been considering the above in cabinet form, did any of yo tilt the top for easier cleaning and how deep did you go with the drawers?

Thanks,
Andy

-- mos maiorum