Lie Nielsen #9 1/2 block plane
Does LN no longer make this?
Only in low-angle configuration.
Hard to believe. Perhaps a website error?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Apparently, they've eliminated all the standard angle block planes from their lineup.  You could contact them and see if they'll make one for you.  Sometimes they will do runs of defunct planes if there's enough demand.  Alternatively, Veritas (Lee Valley) makes a good one, or you could get the WoodRiver LN clone.

Dropping some of their low volume tools and the un-ending promise of introduction of new tools leads me to believe LN has cash flow problems.  I have zero inside knowledge to confirm this - just speculating.  Hope I'm wrong, but that's just what it looks like to me.  They are hiring factory folks, though.  I've been chastised in the past for suggesting they might have some issues.  That's fine.  It's just my opinion based on what I see from the outside.

I have at least 20 LN planes.  Not knocking their quality nor their commitment to excellence.  Just concerned.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
It may be the case that there is not enough demand for the standard angle block plane to make this plane a financial viability for a small company. Keep in mind that one only needs to hone the blade at 33 degrees in the LA version (as opposed to 25 degrees in the Standard version) to achieve the same cutting angle. Plus the LA version has a lower profile, which is more comfortable.

I have the LN #103, which is no longer produced, and it is a terrific plane. I also have their #60 1/2, another excellent plane. I have no need for a #9 1/2.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Interesting. My two 60-1/2s are go to planes. Never thought about one with a higher angle. But, no I do not see a 9-1/2 on the Lie Nielsen web site.
I already have one.  I like it a lot and use it mostly for thinning string bass and cello bridge blanks.  These are quarter sawn hard maple and need to be shaped and thinned about 30-50% before final fitting.  I sometimes experience tearout on less than perfect blanks and was looking for a second 9 1/2 to try a toothed blade for gross material removal and have the first one ready to go for final smoothing.  I have a newish Stanley 60 1/2 which, for some reason, does not work as well for this job.  I have not tried a secondary bevel on the Stanley, mostly because I do like to keep that one low for cross-grain work, which I do frequently.

I have thought about a skewed plane for this job, but skewing my 9 1/2 does not seem to make a difference when tearout occurs. Some of these bridge blanks have pretty strange properties, and the thinning process moves across the grain in a radiating direction, if that makes sense.  I am not planing a flat straight surface, but rather a curved, tapered shape. 

This is what I do for a living and never regret getting quality tools.  I also have an ECE (high angle) block plane, but that one is hit and miss on the effectiveness scale, being a fussy and not very tight setup.  I find it works well 20% of the time and poorly the rest, so I have reached for it less and less.

I might try the standard angle Veritas block which has a toothed blade available.  I was just surprised that the 9 1/2 was no longer on the LN website. I have until the next LV free shipping sale to decide!
Put a WTB in Swap and Sell below.  Someone might have one surplus to their needs.
I was sad when they dropped their little low angle block plane (can't remember number).  I'd been mildly lusting after one for years, but hadn't set aside the money; and then it was gone!
(01-09-2017, 12:22 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I was sad when they dropped their little low angle block plane (can't remember number).  I'd been mildly lusting after one for years, but hadn't set aside the money; and then it was gone!

Bill:  if you're talking about the low angle 102, its still available..... a great little plane, one of the first I acquired.

[Image: 1-102.jpg]

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/bloc...?node=4072