Water Heater - Bradford White
Are they still considered the way to go?  Tired of my inconsistent hot water out of my 3 yr old big box brand. They have had 3 different people out for the issue and finally said they will replace it as something is not right with it but no one can pinpoint the issue and they think I am gonna pay upwards of $500 for labor and prorated warranty.  Think again. It's going to the curb.
It's all good till it's no good anymore.
Are they sure it is even the water heater that's causing the problem?

I can't imagine one can't be repaired or the problem figured out, after all a new one will basically be the same- tank, tube, heat source, thermostat, limit, and sometimes flue and combustion air.

You have gas or electric?
Are professionals working on it- or kids hired to install them?
When I installed a new heater in our house, I passed on the BB models and bought a BW from a dealer.

I've installed many heaters for customers and am quite familiar with the BB models.  Just figered I'd go with a better brand.
Sounds like a flakes thermostat. 

While on the subject does anyone kknow anything about these Rheem marathon electric plastic tank units. Habitat has a whole bunch of them that were donated new in box. Retail is 1k or more and they were asking $350 or so.
        I'm guessing they aren't great since they have been given away...
I know that all four heating contractors I contacted wanted to put a Marathon in my house this last year when we had the geo system changed out. They each sang the praises of the unit all the while bemoaning the price. I wound up putting in some heaters that had a stainless steel tank (no anode rod) and passed on the Marathon. If you need a water heater, $350 on one of those would be hard for me to pass up. I'm sure there's no warranty, but I don't get too wrapped up in warranties anyway.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
It seams that they have changed out just about about everything that could be changed out in the last three months.  Now keep in mind that I am tired of the hassles as well as all of the parts have to be shipped in from the warranty center which mean something that I have to be at home for the inspection.  They call in the findings to the warranty center. Wait a week to ten days for parts and then another appt for them to install. The system has been drained 5 times in the last 3 months. Also every time that I have met a technician has been at least a half day off of work. So I am averaging a day total a month for 3 months. I don't work I don't get paid and no one is paying me back.

First guy 8 yrs as a plumber and warranty came back to a faulty control board.
 Second tech unknown years but looked like had more years under his belt than I cared to ask.  Warranty service and him came back with a new control board assy that had to have the entire tank drained and screwed into the tap on the side of the tank. He then got to come back 2 days later as there was a leak and the part was once again ordered and changed out as there wasn't a hairline crack in the threads (he showed the crack to me).
Third was a second generation owner of a company with over 20 years under his belt.  Burner assy and inlet and outlet tubes were changed.

All 3 techs were from 3 different companies. I am just done.  You think I am gonna pay in the neighborhood of $500 labor and prorated warranty for something that the part was only $700 to begin with?  Not on my watch. Over it.  Done with it.

So is Bradford White still the recognized leader?
It's all good till it's no good anymore.
Bradford White is still a good brand. I would buy from a supply house, and have a plumber install.
(01-08-2017, 10:54 PM)rh111 Wrote: Are they still considered the way to go?  Tired of my inconsistent hot water out of my 3 yr old big box brand. They have had 3 different people out for the issue and finally said they will replace it as something is not right with it but no one can pinpoint the issue and they think I am gonna pay upwards of $500 for labor and prorated warranty.  Think again. It's going to the curb.

I always take them back to the store myself get a refund or replacement depending on time and availability.  Never had one prorated
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-09-2017, 10:16 AM)daddo Wrote: Are they sure it is even the water heater that's causing the problem?

I can't imagine one can't be repaired or the problem figured out, after all a new one will basically be the same- tank, tube, heat source, thermostat, limit,  and sometimes flue and combustion air.

You have gas or electric?
Are professionals working on it- or kids hired to install them?

What exactly do you mean by inconstant hot water ?    Does it change while using the hot water and no one is using any hot or cold water ?   Or is it warm one day and cold another ?   Have you checked any single handle faucet  for crossover ?   What about the dip tube, still  attached ? There is not that much to them once you change out the controls.  Roly
Just bought a Rheem Professional Classic water heater, this has the normal thermostat, not the Honeywell variety which seem to be used on the lower end models, and is prone to failures.