Router setup for rabbit question
At a small wood shop, where I bought my Dewalt ras, the owner was showing me around, and 1 machine setup caught my eye.
He had a shaper setup with a cutter he made, to cut a 1/16" x 3/4" rabbit on the edge of panels he makes cabinet boxes with. The rabbit wasn't for strength, but for registering parts for assembly.

I was thinking of setting up a spare router for just this operation. 

Looking for bit suggestions, etc. I would rather lay the panel plat for routing.

Maybe a 1" wide straight bit?  Or a dado cleanout bit?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Quote:cutter he made, to cut a 1/16" x 3/4" rabbit on the edge of panels

How thick were his panels ? had to be more than 3/4" 

I would just get a large diameter bit with enough height to make the rabbet in one pass. You can do it horizontally if you like as long as your stock it good and flat. Bows and twists will throw off the cut and mess with the registration 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Why do you say,had to be more than 3/4? 
 The rabbit was just as wide as ply was thick.

He does use 3/4" "BB" plywood.
 Not sure where his "BB" comes from, but a piece he gave me to make a ras top, had insect voids almost every place I made a cut. Lots of plies, and looked good on the outside!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
until your last post I was under the impression the boxes were solid wood not wood/ ply 

Quote:1/16" x 3/4" rabbit on the edge of panels he makes cabinet boxes with

so he rabbets the facings for registration not for a glue up edge to edge then.

correct?

IMO the process might look good but execution is going to be tough
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Rabbit is just for registration, to aid in glue up.
Rabbit is just for registration, to aid in glue up.
The 1" straight bit will do it in one pass, I've not seen a dado clean out bit 3/4" wide, so they may take 2 passes.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I guess I need a picture, I still do not see it as you describe it.

#7694 provided you the d is 3/4" and the h is 1/16"  or do you want it the other way around?
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_...abbet.html

I sure Freud , Whiteside, etc make them also.  This was a visual to see which way you are cutting
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
[Image: rabbtbit.jpg]

even though the depth of cut is not correct this probably explains my confusion as to your assertion that the cut was 1/16" deep and 3/4" on the edge of a piece of stock. 

If that piece is 13/16" or more thick then it would work. 

otherwise it is not going to leave any registration behind once it is cut. you can make that cut a hundred ways because it is just a cut no rabbet on 3/4" stock