Some workbench questions
Why not make two benches each 22" - 24" mounted on Rockler's bench casters? With that arrangement, you can get one bench out of the way or start a 2nd project. Put the face and end vises on opposite corners. Push them together when you want to assemble. You won't have a dead flat reference surface as you would with a solid wood top. Ply & MDF are difficult to flatten if it is possible at all; solid wood, just have at it with your jointer plane. With two solid wood top benches, you will have to limit yourself to one bench as your reference surface unless you floor is dead flat. Just a thought ......
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(01-12-2017, 06:19 PM)cputnam Wrote: Why not make two benches each 22" - 24" mounted on Rockler's bench casters?  With that arrangement, you can get one bench out of the way or start a 2nd project.  Put the face and end vises on opposite corners.  Push them together when you want to assemble.  You won't have a dead flat reference surface as you would with a solid wood top.  Ply & MDF are difficult to flatten if it is possible at all; solid wood, just have at it with your jointer plane.  With two solid wood top benches, you will have to limit yourself to one bench as your reference surface unless you floor is dead flat.  Just a thought ......

I was thinking the same thing last night. I think the answer to why not is because they'd spend so much time pushed together that I may as well just build 1. I'm NOT sure about that, but it seems to me from the project I just completed 15 minutes ago (!!!) that the vast majority of my time was spent working either right on the edge of the bench where its depth was irrelevant, or doing something where I needed it to be 4'. There was not a single instant where I needed a 2' bench. I could have gotten by with one foot when I didn't need 4 feet.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Talked with Rob about his MDF benches, they are in his 1st ever video in "power tools"

Video #1 "assembly bench"

Started out as an assembly bench them morphed into work benches

He told me they have 12 coats of Tung oil & mineral spirits mixed

The dog holes were treated with a solution of CA glue and none have failed

My. Personal bench is about 34" wide, wish it was 36" now that I've used it, but can access mine 360 deg.

48" is wide but if you have 360 access I could envision ways of making use......

mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
When I talk to my wife about woodworking, and these celebrity woodworkers come up, I analogize to the celebrity chefs. So a conversation might go:

Me: so I was watching rob cosman dovetail on YouTube today...

Her: who?

Rob cosman. Think Emeril Lagasse with a chisel instead of a knife.

Her: Bam! Continue.

Cosman has been Emeril in my house for a year or so now.
Smile
Don't forget the utility of a dead flat assembly surface.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(01-12-2017, 11:53 PM)cputnam Wrote: Don't forget the utility of a dead flat assembly surface.

Yeah, I paid the price for not having one in this project I just finished. It is actually exactly what prompted me to post.
An assembly bench should not be 
a) made of MDF 
b) painted

Use plywood with a sacrificial layer of unfinished, tempered Masonite. Plywood will readily accept sheet metal or drywall screws when temporarily attaching bending forms for laminating. MDF is very poor for this.

A painted surface will mark up your unfinished woodworking projects and be slippery.
There's plenty of evidence in this thread (and in my private message box) suggesting that MDF is fine for a workbench. Frankly, I'm leaning toward dyeing construction lumber. MDF was only ever a means to an end (having the black field on my bench), but construction lumber dyed black gets me there cheaper. Still if MDF is good enough for Rob Cosman, I am certainly not going to contradict him. I'm convinced it is a viable choice, and won't hesitate to use it if some other factor convinces me it is the way to go.

I'm not building an assembly table. I'm building a workbench that is big enough to double as an assembly table. Or, if one prefers, an assembly table with some of the attributes of a workbench. Shrug.
Many people regard Chris Schwartz well knowledged in the world of workbenches. I came across this post the other day:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodwo...agazine%29

I am not suggesting that you follow his advice, only that you read to understand his rationale. I have been putting off building a true workbench, as i am still using a solid core exterior door for my work surface.

There is no single bullet theory...
I understand his rationale. I think he's wrong to be so dismissive. I mean, he even takes the red-neck cheap shot calling them "double-wide." Tell me again why that guy isn't a laughingstock?