Engine block or oil pan heater?
(01-09-2017, 09:04 PM)A Squared Wrote: Why can't you run both?  Running off a generator without enough capacity?

I'm wondering the same thing. 

Typical block heater is 1000W, or 8 - 9 amps. 

Only have one 15A circuit available?  Can't get another circuit?  Available circuit not 20A capable? 

Did you try to use both simultaneously?  What happened when you did? 

If I was worried that much about it, I'd plug the block heater in.  Then I'd find a way to get the oil heated.  Either by getting more juice from somewhere or buying a smaller oil pan heater blanket. 

This would be after I put a very thin appropriate temp engine oil in the crankcase.
The block heater should keep the oil warm
Frost plug heater for years on a tractor close to your size. Always worked great for me.
(01-10-2017, 02:04 PM)fixtureman Wrote: The block heater should keep the oil warm

yep It is not like you are dealing with extremely cold temperatures 

Well maybe for you they are extreme 

temps in CO last week were however 

[Image: Screenshot_1_zpsxcxvjz0w.png]
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

[quote pid='7415003' dateline='1484067229']
JGrout
[/quote]
[quote pid='7415256' dateline='1484099911']

[/quote]

At those temps, I would be more concerned with having enough additive or kerosene in the fuel to prevent it from gelling up. My next concern would be the manure freezing inside the spreader before I could get it out.

We hit -20 for a few days here usually at some point, and those are rough.
At those temperatures I will sit by the wood stove with a good book and some adult beverage.  Another day closer to spring!
Bill
(01-11-2017, 07:55 AM)jamesglenn Wrote: [quote pid='7415003' dateline='1484067229']
JGrout
[quote pid='7415256' dateline='1484099911']

[/quote]

At those temps, I would be more concerned with having enough additive or kerosene in the fuel to prevent it from gelling up. My next concern would be the manure freezing inside the spreader before I could get it out.

We hit -20 for a few days here usually at some point, and those are rough.
[/quote]

Winter fuel mixes here are the norm When I was equipment operating  we used #1 diesel from Oct -May
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(01-11-2017, 10:48 AM)Bill Bob Wrote: At those temperatures I will sit by the wood stove with a good book and some adult beverage.  Another day closer to spring!
Bill

someone had to make sure the supply the gas oil and coal that kept you snug in your home next to the fire
Wink

Joe

Diesel Dennis Wrote:I'm wondering the same thing. 

Typical block heater is 1000W, or 8 - 9 amps. 

Only have one 15A circuit available? 

Depends on the heater and application, I guess. The Frost plug heater on my 4 cyl pickup is only 200 watts IIRC. But like you my prefrence would be to heat both the block and the oil pan.