3/4" buried PVC - what is it?
I'm currently having a retaining wall replaced in my back yard. While removing the old wall, the contractors encountered a buried 3/4" PVC line parallel to one of the drain pipes and we're trying to figure out what it is.

It goes toward the back corner of the house, but the walk-out basement is only under the other half of the house. Hose bib is about 40' away from that corner. The end toward the retaining wall terminates and is capped (glued on, I believe). That cap is covered by about an inch of gravel in the pictures, just out of sight. It seems to be filled with water.

There is a possibility that there way a garden below the retaining wall at some point, but certainly not any time close to when I moved in. My only guess is that it could have been a line to run a sprinkler or similar, but it was buried behind the wall with no access and was capped.

So I'm confused. Any guesses?

Pictures in a second...

Thanks,
Tyler
Pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Could be it was just tossed in the ditch by a lazy workman long ago.
Too lazy to put it back into the truck, etc.

Could be an abandoned water line.

Could be an extra one put in for future expansion possibilities

No real way to know at this point.

If it was me, I would just leave it. It is not hurting anything now
and has not up to this point, it will likely continue to lay under that
dirt for many more years and never be a problem.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Since it's not electrical, it's probably there for a future sprinkler system.  Maybe a garden.

It may not even enter the house.  The PO may have mapped the location of both ends for future reference.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
What is the white item that looks like a wire running parallel to the black pipe ?  Does that end with the black pipe ?   Roly
Haha, that's the 3/4" PVC I'm asking about!

Tyler
Yep I just did a fast look and did not pay attention to the size of the black pipe compared to the level. Thought the black pipe was the one in question.  Roly
Cut into it and see what happens.
Smile
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I was going to say drill a hole in it. If it leaks water under pressure- it's a water pipe. If it electrocutes you- it was electric.  If nothing happens- you're back where you started.  
Laugh

You might turn on a facet close by then listen to the pipe with a metal rod with your thumb over the end and touch it to your ear and listen for water running noise.
Was doing some root improvements work around some trees in a "tree pit" sidewalk cut out in a downtown area. There were outlets at each tree. I asked the city guy with me if he knew where the electric came in for those. He gave simple, yet sage advise: "If it feels like conduit stop digging."