Planer blade setting issue
Be sure to get some oil on those as soon as they come out of the vinegar.  I'm sure you know that, but just in case.  They will flash rust in just a few minutes sometimes, and you'll be back where you started.
Could there be burrs on the screw heads that could cause them to shift against the slot when you tighten them? In addition to what has already been mentioned, I would make sure the screw heads are smooth.
I noticed if you dry the parts quickly with a hair dryer on hot or hit them with a wire wheel, the flash rust is almost eliminated. Thats what collecting hand planes tought me, not hiw to use them, how to clean them..lol. first i used citric acid but shipping cost more than the product. Vinegar is cheap and available.

The screw heads look nice and smooth...im going to try with all the gibs in place as if the planer was already set up,,this will eliminate the cutterhead idea.
this is not quite the picture I wanted but it shows why the knives and gibs need installed in all the slots. 

the cross section shows a lot of room for flexing and movement and filling up those slots does wonders for speeding up knife changes 

[Image: PMCHcomparison.jpg]

Ignore the 4 knife head The PM 180 is very similar to the one you have They are just import bashing about bearings etc.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Looking at the pic i can see that it isnt as beefy towards the center. Its funny that a nice big piece of metal like that distort.
Ok....i installed all knives, snugged them then tightened them.
I loosend one until the knife popped up and used the jig. At first things looked good. One side was perfect, the other side raised just enough to tick me off. This slight gap on the jig feet is making me wonder if it really will affect anything.
So i went to the bob vaughn video....i noticed as he was tightening one side he said basically that it isnt tightening, its really expansion and with the slot expanding, the balde will raise up.
Then using the dial indicator, he noticed one spot was high and the rest was ok (all on one knife)...and left it.
Today i bought from the swap n sell section, knives. Maybe mine are worse than they look. I will keep trying...but i think im looking for perfection.
To pirate,,here are the after pics..excuse the mess
[Image: 20170113_175423_zpsqg4fsrrf.jpg]

[Image: 20170113_175358_zps65amvtzz.jpg]
Here's an update. I had to take some time away from the machine and start fresh at it. I watched the bob vaughn video again and realized he had a block of wood and hammer that he used to tap the knife down. I tried that and it worked. What a relief. My first issue was trying to install a knife with the others out of the head. Like jgrout said,,install all the knives as if they were done. Doing this, as each knife was set the other gib screws became loose. I had to keep going around the cutterhead until they were all tight. Amazing that a piece of metal like that can move so much.
(01-19-2017, 05:48 PM)Marc Wrote: Here's an update.  I had to take some  time away from the machine and start fresh at it. I watched the bob vaughn video again and realized he had a block of wood and hammer that he used to tap the knife down.  I tried that and it worked. What a relief.  My first issue was trying to install a knife with the others out of the head. Like jgrout said,,install all the knives as if they were done.  Doing this,  as each knife was set the other gib screws became loose. I had to keep going around the cutterhead  until they were all tight.  Amazing that a piece of metal like that can move so much.

I am sure glad you got this done and in the end learned something from it
Wink

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Congratulations on setting the planer knives. And if I understand you correctly you used an dial indicator and watched the bob Vaughn video.

Earlier I posted using a dial indicator and I was attacked from several people. I stated that the datum was the bed of the planer and not the cutter head which may or not be parallel to the bed of the planer. Probably most have never heard of a datum.

I measure the blades using a one way jig from the table and not the cutter head, it takes the possibilities of the cutter head not being parallel to the bed out of play. Heads can sag, a piece of whatever on the locator during machining. anything can happen. Bob Vaughn uses the cutter head. Is he wrong and are you wrong for wanting to do it this way? NO

You are thrilled that you got the job done and believe me I am happy for you.