I should Have Quit When I was Behind
I was using a 3/4" (1/2" shaft) roundover bit today when the guide bearing unscrewed itself and dropped off.  This makes a roundover bit a rather funky rabbeting bit and generally ruins the piece you are working on.  I've never had this happen before in all my years of using hand-held routers.  I'll be checking any bit that has a bearing before I chuck it up from now on.

It was kind of interesting when I found the parts.  The bearing was fine but the little bolt was stripped out as was the bit itself when I tried another screw in it.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Glad only bolt and bit were damaged and not body parts.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Had that happen with a Freud Flush Trim bit once..  same thing ..  scared me bad too ..  

I work in Building Supplies ..   told the Freud rep,  he responded that we're supposed to check for tightness before using the bit..    

I let it go ..   

Glad no blood was spilled..
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand

(01-11-2017, 07:49 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Glad only bolt and bit were damaged and not body parts.

Mel

Yeah, that sounds like a really dangerous incident where OP (pretty much literally) dodged a bullet.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Glad no body parts damaged. Had same happen to me with a flush-trim bit cleaning up the backing for some shop cabinets...ate a nice hole in the side. But hey they were for the shop and I rearranged them a bit to cover the gouge. Certainly a pucker moment when the router starts acting NOT like you would expect and you hear parts pinging around the shop ....
Yep. Happened to me a couple times. I try to remember to lube each bearing and ck the bolt tightness before every use now.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Mike

I never had it happen before, but again working with Safety with the Air Force I always check my stuff before use.  There are some router bits I never used before but still check them too. 
Like the military did I made check lists of Prior to use, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly use sheets for each big tools and hand tools which have it in their instructions.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yep, I've done that. As with the others, no blood was spilled.

I never did find the screw, but I always check them for tightness now.
Smile
chris
Hmm. More to think about. Thanks for the warning.
I've had it happen a few times. The probability of it happening is directly proportional to the value of the project times the work needed to replace the part raised to the 10th power.  
Laugh 

A very simple solution that avoids all accidents is to use and edge guide in addition to the bit. It will prevent all problems except on corners. But for straight runs, the edge guide will keep the bit from digging in should the bearing come off.