Electrical questions.
Don't forget the cabon monoxide detectors also. A must in any code situation city or rural.
John T.
I got started and set a new indoor panel. The smallest I could find was a 125 amp. I need to run a new service wire to it to update the separate ground/neutral. What size wire is required from the main?

I finally got with the co-op on the loop and main outside- he's coming tomorrow to explain the process and their requirements.

It's hard to believe this house has been running fine for 30 years on a 30 amp breaker. No wonder the elect bills are around 45- 75 bucks. I do have it well insulated.
(01-12-2017, 11:38 PM)daddo Wrote: I got started and set a new indoor panel. The smallest I could find was a 125 amp.  I need to run a new service wire to it to update the separate ground/neutral. What size wire is required from the main?
Is there an outside panel also?  Service conductors for 125A can be 2-gauge copper or 1/0 aluminium [Table 310-15(b)(6)].  But if there's an outside panel with breakers or fuses for some of the loads, splitting off to another (inside) panel, you'd have to upsize them to 1/0 copper or 3/0 aluminium, using the 60C column, since the load diversity taken into account in the main service conductors is not fully present [Table 310-16].  Pulling separate conductors in conduit would allow 1-gauge copper or 2/0 aluminium.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
It's just for the indoor panel.
I have more than enough aluminum XHHW-2, 3 core w/ground wire here.
I know you've already started but I STRONGLY suggest you consult an electrician. 

In my area and most I know of, the power company will not upgrade a service supply without a licensed electrician and a permit.

In the end you might not be saving as much as you think. From experience, I can tell you electricians can buy wire, panels, etc for 1/2 what you would pay.

If finances permit, spending a few thou to rewire the house is a worthwhile investment especially if you ever decide to sell it.  Even if you needed a home equity loan to do it, I would go for a rewire and upgrades service to at least 150A.