Grinders - Tell me what I need
What I've found is that I really want two grinders plus a buffer/polisher. One high-speed grinder for general repair/homeowner tasks (this is what I have now, in 6" but wish it were 8"), and an 8" slow-speed for sharpening. The high-speed with a fine wire wheel is one of the most-used tools in my shop.

One of these would be nice but probably won't happen in my lifetime:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KH61T3E/ref...FybSBED0N3

I do have a bench buffer/polisher and have been surprised at how much I use it, including for putting the final edge on some types of blades.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
IMO a bench grinder is not an essential tool to rehab plane blades -- in fact I would discourage you from that.  Probably 90% of what I do regarding tools is hollow grind chisel bevels, and that maybe once every year or so.

That being said, I do own a couple  6" grinders.  One is a variable speed with a coarse and fine wheel with the Veritas tool rest (which I don't use anymore I hollow grind by hand).   The other has a wire wheel and a polishing wheel.  I turned the motor around on the base so it rotates away from me.  This does come in handy for quickly removing light rust from a blade or tool and for polishing hardware, etc.

You will need a good quality dresser for the stone wheels.

You will probably find the plastic arbor bushing that come with the stones to be pretty bad, so I recommend buying a set a good ones or make your own out of wood.

I have found the variable speed not that useful and the fine stones generate way too much heat so I mostly use the coarse.

The only thing I would ever touch a plane blade to a grinder is a grossly pitted edge & you have to be extremely careful about heat build up.

Hope this helps.
Well, after getting and trying the regular 6" slow speed grinder I can see that by itself its about as useful as a stick in the eye.. Without some kind of jig there is no point. No way I could use it to establish a bevel freehand or with factory tool rest

The HF buffer I love. Gotta keep working on the grinder.
Yeah, grinders aren't much use without a stable tool rest. Not for chisels and plane blades, at any rate.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop