Pastor needed a stash for his candy....
Pastor needed a box to hide his stash of candy in....

while out of a rust hunt, I "picked' two boards, at a dollar apiece.   Decided to resaw the Cherry slab down to make a small box

Made with 1/2" thick planks of Cherry.  Box joints were made with a saw, a chisel, and a mallet

The panel in the lid, it was "raised" by using a handplane or two, ala Paul Sellers.   Panel sits in a groove in the lid's frame.   I rounded over the top edge of the lid, with a block plane

Small Brass hinges.   Tried to get the grain to show up,  wound up sitting the box on a table, and letting the sunshine do it's thing..

After a couple days.....let it sit there ( rotating to even things out) before delivery on a Sunday..

It now sits on Pastor's Desk, hiding his stash of Candy from the kids at Church.  

Not too bad for just old yard sale lumber?

I could do a bit about how this was built, if'n anyone wants me to...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Nice.  I wonder how long it'll take for the kids to figure out where the stash is?
Candy is still safe & sound.
Rolleyes 

Now, about the box build..

After resawing the Cherry to thickness, planed to width, and the ends shot square,  I laid out the spacing of the fingers by just using the chisel I was going to chop then out with.   First set of lines, I backsawed to split the lines.  Once the waste was chopped out, I used those fingers to lay out the matching ones.  Then I cut on the waste side, and chopped the waste out, again...test fitting as I went..

I also needed a groove for the bottom panel to sit in..

About the best way to plough a groove
Big Grin
The panel for the bottom was just a glued up Pine slab.  I used the 45 to match a tongue on the edges.

Bottom done, sides fit.   Glued things up.   Then set about making a lid...Stay tuned
Cool
You did well Bandit.  Also I know all you use for any and all builds is all hand tools ever and I like that and hope to do it some day

What was the finish on it again?  Was it still wet when the picture was taken?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Finish was 1 coat of BLO/Varnish mix, then 2 coats of Poly Gloss.    Between the BLO and the sunshine, the cherry just seemed to "POP".  
Big Grin
(01-13-2017, 08:18 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Finish was 1 coat of BLO/Varnish mix, then 2 coats of Poly Gloss.    Between the BLO and the sunshine, the cherry just seemed to "POP".  
Big Grin
VERY nice work!!!!!!!!!!
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Positively SINFUL

The pastor having that tempting candy laying around
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Ok, about that lid.    I made a raised panel to sit in a frame.    panel was "raised" with a hand plane or two..

I marked a line about 1" in from the edges, and about 1/4" from the back of the panel.    I planed at a diagonal to the grain until a bevel appears.   I start with the end grain ends first.   Then repeats for the edge grain on the long sides.   Where the two bevels meet, there is supposed to be a nice, straight line in the corners..

The frame to hold the lid's panel is box jointed like the box, had to match up where the fingers were.   A groove had been milled around on the inside, to house the panel...took a few tries to get the fit just right..

Once the lid was all nicely glued up, I could fit it to the box....

Before the glue up could happen, I used a small plane to round over the top edges of the sides...

Once both were done, I could clamp the two together in the vise, and plane them to match each other.    Box was a hair wider...., then a couple of hinges and a latch were added.  And then the finish.  I let the box sit on the table, where sunlight could "bake" the Cherry to a nice red colour.   I left the insides un-finished, as I didn't know what was going inside.    Turns out it was Pastor's stash of candy...