Brace bits storage/access designs
This isn't mine.  I saw it on the Fine Woodworking site but I've been thinking about how to build my version.  I like the way the brace handle is the handle for the box.

[Image: Toolbox_drillbox_open_zps14qlgo9e.jpg]
Andy,  I use a denim roll, but I saw a case,  IIRC on ebay,  that was just a tall square, and I forget how the top opened, but it was just a bunch of holes, and each bit was in there vertically.  Took up less space than the tool chest design.
(01-13-2017, 09:19 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Andy,  I use a denim roll, but I saw a case,  IIRC on ebay,  that was just a tall square, and I forget how the top opened, but it was just a bunch of holes, and each bit was in there vertically.  Took up less space than the tool chest design.

I have two different versions of the vertical box, and have been trying to get the pictures out of photobucket for the last hour!

I'll be happy to post pictures once photobucket cooperates.

r2
Thanks for all the replys:

Rich: that's a fine box set of Bits, need to find me a copy.

Richard hope you get it working, would like to see it....

Pat: that's a fine set up, would take me a while to build that, but may look at the internal design.

-- mos maiorum
OK, photobucket is extremely slow tonight. but here's two that I have.

First is on made by Irwin that houses my Bluwin bits.

[Image: 5faa2d57-97f5-4c5e-b026-4384c5bacee1.jpg]

[Image: 5b912a9e-c5a1-49af-97b3-a0f130b43617.jpg]

[Image: 84fb8d36-47c9-4737-b29f-95873d25eb59.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3548.jpg]

And here's a pic of two of the bits showing the blue color.

[Image: DSCN3549.jpg] 

Another box of unknown  manufacture holds a partial set of Jennings bits. The unusual aspect of this box is the lift-off lid that has a pair of lift-up internal hinges.

[Image: 6f35688d-3f0e-42cf-b06e-8f34b939463e.jpg]

[Image: cc106dfc-d59b-40d0-b1a7-9cba8c014eb9.jpg]

Hope this helps,

r2
r2

Wow what a beautiful set of bits, and yes a box like that would do nicely. One similar on eBay, box is close, but rough, bits are junk, ir would take a bit of effort to copy that box though.

Thanks for your effort,
Andy

-- mos maiorum
(01-13-2017, 04:47 AM)Adnick Wrote: Hello Everyone:

One of those sleepless nights that I thought could be put to good use.  

Looking for a better way to store and access my brace bits within my tool cabinet, want something that holds them securely and is artistically pleasing.  Have several long 18-24 inch bits from 3/8 - 1 1/2" and then a set of Irwin augers.  

I'm sure there are many clever designs within this august group of woodworkers that I would have never thought of?

Right now I'm contemplating the old drill holes in a block of wood for each size, and possibly make it tilt out.....is this the pinnacle of design?

Thanks for any input,
Andy

mos maiorum

Andy, about 10 years ago I built this cabinet, primarily for braces and spokeshaves.

There a some augers in a box (can be seen on the shelf below the braces) ...

[Image: 7_zps5c7bb45f.jpg]

[Image: RJBox1.jpg]

... and the rest are in leather rolls, which are kept in the drawer (of that cabinet) ...

[Image: YankeesandRJaugers1.jpg]

There are other augers - Irwins, etc. The braces are easy to grab but there are too many auger bits to have out on show. The point of cabinets for me is to have access to the tools when they are needed. I know the bits are in the drawer in a tool roll, which is easy to take to the work at the bench.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Very nicely done.....yea my large augers will stay where they are, just wanted a place in the cabinet for the most used.

Thinking a compact box like Rich or r2 has is my answer.

Andy
mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
Thanks!! Derek spared me the trouble of photographing the Russell Jennings bit box. His middle image. It really is compact: about 4x4x10.5" and holds 12 bits. But, you could drill your own box and make one like R2's. My RJ is 3 pages--Bandit's term--and about 4-and-a-half pounds with the bits. I think the wood is white pine. I prefer my tools housed (protected) so the box is perfect. 

Going to modern stuff will be a different story. Most of my 1/16 inch bits evolve into hinge mandrels (pins), multiples are the answer.

Re: night work, during sleepless times, instead of sheep, I count aches and pains. Dozing interrupts the progression, so starting over a couple times usually has the desired effect. Pain meds. are useless. 
Crazy
I just keep mine in a canvas roll, but I think the picture of the elegant box with the double-duty handle posted by Pat Zabrocki is really cool.  Both the bit storage and the brace storage in this picture are ideas to ponder.