24" X 36" picture frame
To some this is basic build but for me this is an accomplishment getting this far without screwing something up.  I find cutting a simple 45 degree miter is tedious but I know I will get better as I build more things...practice makes perfect so to speak.

Anyway....I had an idea in my head how I wanted this frame to look and although I've hit some road blocks along the way I'm happy with the progress so far.  It's a 2 part frame to stand it off of the wall above my fireplace.  I was originally going to build it out of Walnut but at the last minute decided to go with African Mahogany to save some $$$.  The straight grain sure likes to tear out as you cut it especially using a router.

This is the print that will be going into the frame once it's complete.  I've never printed anything out this large before but it turned out better than I expected.

That is a beautiful frame.  The miters look very good too.  Great work.  How many pieces/layers is in it?

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
The frame looks great but the sleeping snowy owl is spectacular. I'd be proud of that shot too. Congrats on both.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(01-14-2017, 07:32 AM)Joel H. Wrote: That is a beautiful frame.  The miters look very good too.  Great work.  How many pieces/layers is in it?

Joel

I didn't show a close up of the miters and they need some filling.
Big Grin   It's in 2 pieces.  The interior part of the frame up to the dental molding then the outer part is the larger stock to wrap around it.  I would have loved to make it out of one piece but I don't have the tools and router bits to do everything as one.  I have a lot to learn about woodworking but I'm making the effort one day at a time.  It doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist also because I hate seeing flaws in anything I do/make so I get frustrated easily when I make a mistake but as I get older I try to let things get to me too much.
(01-14-2017, 07:43 AM)shoottmx Wrote: The frame looks great but the sleeping snowy owl is spectacular. I'd be proud of that shot too. Congrats on both.

g

Thank you.  I've had a lot of compliments on the owl picture and I'm a big fan of black and white photography.  The sunlight in the shot wasn't ideal (coming in from my left and I'd rather have the sun behind me or over either shoulder) but we didn't want to disturb the owl after it landed on the beach in front of us to I took the shots it offered at the time until it moved further down the beach to get out of the 35mph winds we had that morning.
Yes, a fantastic image and frame. Will you be showing the final product? Meaning a mounted image and frame?
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Well done, Duane. That frame looks great!

And that picture is stunning! I can't stop looking at it.
Duane, nice job. Picture frames can be tough. 8 angles must be dead on. Parallel sides must be exact lengths. Glueups can't slip out of square.

Woodworking is frustrating to a perfectionist.  I have adopted the mantra, "The best I can do with the skills that I have."  And work on improving my skills.

Look forward to the finished product.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
Love to see it finished and hanging.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-14-2017, 11:34 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Love to see it finished and hanging.

Me too, and I bet so would a bunch of others.

Incredible shot.
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)