Mortiser Recommendation
(01-16-2017, 05:47 PM)jteneyck Wrote: A simple roller stand works for an end cut just as well as it did in the picture shown.  It rolls in one direction and slides over the roller in the other.  Try it, you'll see. 

John

But wouldn't you agree that a Domino would be faster and easier for THAT use?
(01-16-2017, 06:17 PM)Huxleywood Wrote: But wouldn't you agree that a Domino would be faster and easier for THAT use?

Yes, absolutely.  And I agree with your comments that every tool has its limitations and no one tool is right for everyone or every application.  My only complaint about the Domino is that it is too expensive for me to justify for what it can do. 

John
(01-16-2017, 07:10 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Yes, absolutely.  And I agree with your comments that every tool has its limitations and no one tool is right for everyone or every application.  My only complaint about the Domino is that it is too expensive for me to justify for what it can do. 

John

I agree the right tool for right job. All the more reason to have every tool.  
Laugh

My friend was busting on me for having both Dominos. The crud he gave me was getting under my skin but I let it slide. He is an engineer that hates everything ever designed. About 4 weeks ago I got my chance to show him how well the domino could solve a problem for him. So I pounced. I loaned him my big one and he used it and within the first 5 minutes he was hooked.  In addition he went over it with a fine tooth comb and even said "even I have to admit this is built well."  He crossed over to the Dark Side and now loves the domino.
(01-16-2017, 08:23 PM)Curlycherry Wrote: I agree the right tool for right job. All the more reason to have every tool.  
Laugh

My friend was busting on me for having both Dominos. The crud he gave me was getting under my skin but I let it slide. He is an engineer that hates everything ever designed. About 4 weeks ago I got my chance to show him how well the domino could solve a problem for him. So I pounced. I loaned him my big one and he used it and within the first 5 minutes he was hooked.  In addition he went over it with a fine tooth comb and even said "even I have to admit this is built well."  He crossed over to the Dark Side and now loves the domino.

Then you need one of my horizontal router mortisers!

Your engineer friend must be a quite a prima donna.  It's not exclusive to engineers. 

FWIW, I'm an engineer, and I only hate every thing that was poorly designed.  And to be clear, I'd love to have a Domino.  It's just too expensive for me to justify, especially after I designed and built the horizontal router mortiser.  It is the right tool for the job much of the time.  

John
I had a free standing horizontal mortiser but sold it because I did not have the floor space nor the pressing need for it. With my Leigh FMT and Domino machines, I am pretty well covered.  I still have my Powermatic chisel mortiser but that is just gathering dirt and rust (I let some water from a tile job on the floor above it leak onto it and did not realize it.)  
Slap

I would love to get a JDS Multirouter if one came up on sale. Missed one a month or so ago for ~$600 at a local estate sale. Darn thing sold before I got there.  
Angry
(01-17-2017, 10:49 AM)Curlycherry Wrote: I would love to get a JDS Multirouter if one came up on sale. Missed one a month or so ago for ~$600 at a local estate sale. Darn thing sold before I got there.  
Angry

Ah the Multirouter, arguably the best in breed when it comes to small horizontal mortisers/multi function machines and it along with maybe the Domino spawned the movement of seemingly every other youtube woodworking content creator building their very own version of it.  It is extremely well made and the template system works well.  It is great if you need many functions in a tiny amount of space.  I bought one early on and used it a ton.  I used it for all manner of things, box joints, dovetails, sliding dovetails, all manner of mortise and tenons including angled and round.  Over the years I slowly acquired other jigs/machines/methods that did each of the functions of the JDS and being more dedicated they were quicker and easier than the JDS.  In the end the only function left that I didn't have a quicker/easier option for was round tenons, something I used to use but rarely use now.  I don't really miss mine.  If you get one and decide to use it in your workflow often get the air clamps they make it much more efficient.  I see them like a Euro 5 function machine, great if you are space and/or budget limited, but they aren't as efficient as having all 5 separates.
Your budget can't be too limited to buy a JDS Multirouter.  An absolutely great machine, and the primary inspiration for my design, but at $2500+ new it's way out my range.  One rarely sees them below about $1800.  

John
Grizzly makes a really nice one for your price. I have an old Delta that I just can not seem to get it right.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Du...rizzly.com

Here are the specs

The flexibility to perform compound-angled mortises with perfect control is what sets this Heavy-Duty Mortiser apart from all others. Simple adjustments allow the head to tilt up to 30° left or right, and the fence also pivots up to 30°, providing just about any combination of angles. Hand wheel controls allow you to move the table left/right and forward/backward with precision and ease. Adjustable work stops help ensure consistent results with production runs. Round all this out with a 1-1/2 HP motor and solid cast iron construction, and you'll see why this has become the Mortiser of choice for busy shops around the country!

Specifications:
  • Motor: 1-1/2 HP, 110V/220V, single-phase, TEFC, 1725 RPM, prewired 110V
  • Amps: 14A/7A
  • Table size: 19" x 12-1/2"
  • Vertical spindle travel: 9"
  • Head vertical travel: 3"
  • Table longitudinal travel: 14-1/2"
  • Table cross travel: 3"
  • Column tilt: + or - 30°
  • Fence angle: 0-30°
  • Chisel capacity: 1/4" - 1-1/2"
  • Maximum chisel stroke: 6-1/4"
  • Maximum workplace width: 9"
  • Chuck capacity: 1/2"
  • Collar size: 5/8" and 3/4"
  • Spindle speed: 1725 RPM
  • Footprint: 20-1/2" x 17-1/2"
  • Overall size: 71"H X 36"W X 24"D
  • Approximate shipping weight: 356 lbs.
Features:
  • Solid cast iron construction
  • Dovetail ways on column
  • Rack-and-pinion headstock control
  • Gas-spring assisted head return
  • Work stop with extension rods for setting each workpiece exactly the same
  • Quick acting rack-and-pinion drive on longitudinal slide speeds up production of wide mortises
  • Tilting column
  • Angled fence adjustment
  • Large hold down clamp
  • Steel cabinet stand with indexed storage shelf for mortising chisels
  • Stand included
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-17-2017, 03:34 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Your budget can't be too limited to buy a JDS Multirouter.  An absolutely great machine, and the primary inspiration for my design, but at $2500+ new it's way out my range.  One rarely sees them below about $1800.  

John

My point is if you buy the most efficient jigs/machines to do all the jobs a Multirouter will do it will cost you more money.  Even though a Multirouter, dedicated motor, full set of templates and air clamps will run you over $4k you can spend more than that for just cutting half blind dovetails but you could cut 50 times as many in a day.  While that is hyperbolic it is easy to have more than a Multirouter tied up in items that cover the same bases, but chosen correctly they will be more efficient at almost every task just like separates compared to a 5 in 1 Euro combo machine.
(01-17-2017, 05:16 PM)Huxleywood Wrote: My point is if you buy the most efficient jigs/machines to do all the jobs a Multirouter will do it will cost you more money.  Even though a Multirouter, dedicated motor, full set of templates and air clamps will run you over $4k you can spend more than that for just cutting half blind dovetails but you could cut 50 times as many in a day.  While that is hyperbolic it is easy to have more than a Multirouter tied up in items that cover the same bases, but chosen correctly they will be more efficient at almost every task just like separates compared to a 5 in 1 Euro combo machine.

Yes, of course.  No one buys a combo machine, or a Multirouter, if they have to crank out identical parts all day long.  And for the OP's benefit, no one should buy a chisel mortiser if they need and want to cut more than deep, square shouldered mortises.  That machine was revolutionary when it was invented in the 1700 or 1800's?  There are far better, faster, and easier ways to cut mortises today.  And some of those machines do a lot more.  

John