DeWalt 621 Plunge Router - Still Golden?
I know the DeWalt 621 was the gold standard mid-size plunge router out there for years. Are the ones being produced now still up there in quality and reliability?
Jason

If I had to give up my ELU/Dewalt 621 or my Festool OF 1400, I would definitely keep the 1400 but the ergonomics aren't for everyone.
(01-14-2017, 01:17 PM)Huxleywood Wrote: If I had to give up my ELU/Dewalt 621 or my Festool OF 1400, I would definitely keep the 1400 but the ergonomics aren't for everyone.

I've used the OF 1400 and it's a great router, but it's twice the price of the DeWalt; I don't use a router enough to justify that kind of cost.
Jason

If the Festool isn't in the mix then for a mid-sized plunge (only) router my choice would be the 621.  That said I have a couple of the Bosch MRC23 combo routers and I am beginning to prefer them in the plunge base to the 621.  I like the plunge lever better than the twist (and in that respect better than the OF 1400 as well), I also like the shape of the handles better and it has the power switch on the handle (for both bases) like the Dewalt which is rare for combo routers.
They've compromised some, (621). The plunge spring K is way over what it should be. And the plunge glide is
less than what it used to be. And, of course it's config. is ridiculous.
No casting in the direction of travel. Ergonomics are still great!?
But it's still my first choice for medium work.
Pat Warner
Awhile back I had to break down and get a plunge router and looked at all of them for a few months and then bought the Porter Cable 1 1/4 hp,  To me it did everything the 2hp one did and a lot more versatile and I could use it with my Beall threading system which makes threaded rods of 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1", 1 1/4", and 1 1/2".
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-15-2017, 01:21 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Awhile back I had to break down and get a plunge router and looked at all of them for a few months and then bought the Porter Cable 1 1/4 hp, .

If you don't do the types of cuts that require more power the new crop of compact routers are excellent.  I prefer the Dewalt 611 to the PC 450.  The 611 is variable speed and has several other smaller features and currently is cheaper on Amazon.