glass for sharpening
Where do people buy glass to adhere sandpaper for the scary sharp system?  Do I just go the big box store and get cut glass?
I use a marble floor tile from the box store.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
And... call me a rebel, but I say why adhere the sandpaper?    I always either pull my edge-bevels along the papers, or run small figure-8's with the flat parts of the blades.   So my sandpapers have no tendency to lift-off.  Then I can change grits/papers as often as I like.

Chris
Chris
Contact a few glass stores, and see if they have scrap plate glass.  You might get it for free.
yard sale / household sale.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(01-15-2017, 12:13 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Contact a few glass stores, and see if they have scrap plate glass.  You might get it for free.

This is exactly what I did when I was into scary sharp, nice, thick plate glass, think like from a storefront; I told them what I was doing with it and they even beveled the edges for me!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I used plate glass... Any flat hard surface should work.
I used granite slabs from the dumpster behind the counter top place, with permission of course.

They were squared up using a tile saw.

I recently gave them all away on TS&S.
chris
I used glass from old picture frames on top of a piece of mdf, fiber board, or plywood (double stick tape would keep the glass secure). Frames are incredibly cheap at the thrift stores, even cheaper than at yard sales. I also put a couple coats of varnish on mdf to harden the surface and waterproof it. Have also used ceramic floor tile ($1.00 each) from the big box.

Make sure when you get that glass plate it is sufficiently flat.
I have seen Frank Klausz remark about that, and therefore he used melamine/particleboard
during the hand plane lapping.

Ceramic tiles mentioned above is also good idea (and also good to check).