Non Furniture Grade Buffet Plan Question
So my wife wants a buffet. She found this style she likes

http://www.ana-white.com/2012/02/free_pl...-sideboard

Since I'm sometimes leary of plans originating on Pinterest, I wanted to get some thoughts from "experts". I'm considering two options with this plan.

1. Build as is and tweak dimensions and style to fit.

2. Build something similar but more cabinet style with a carcass and face frame. Then doing a distressed finish.

My concern with the plans as is, is the fact that the 2x4s are used as structural and exposed finish. I really worry about the amount of opposing grain joints you have with this as well. I just envision a lot of warping and/or cupping as the lumber drys and changes with humidity.

Thoughts?
I'd be inclined to build it using more traditional furniture construction methods and I wouldn't use 2x4s. At least around here, it's difficult to find framing lumber that would be decent for furniture. It may be that you can get the SketchUp model that was used for the illustrations and make the modifications for the wood you'd use. If it isn't available, it would be easy enough to reconstruct it.
Your concerns indicate you already know what is likely to happen if you build it with construction lumber.  With all the time it takes to build something, starting with sub standard materials makes no sense to me.  It shouldn't be too hard to substitute KD materials into that design. 

John
I built one piece from Anna White's plans. I used the plan to get finished demindions, but used traditional furniture construction techniques
Anna White has a very large number of plans, but her techniques are very, very basic

You've identified the issues.  My take is use the plan for inspiration, and build it properly.  Frankly, using the best materials you can is always the best choice, as the "cost" of the project is the labor, and using construction lumber for a serious piece of furniture is madness to me.  OTOH, if you are a college student who will be throwing out the piece after use in a dorm room, fine, 2x4 away!

Edit:  I scrolled down and saw the build instructions, wow, pocket screw city, squared.  I guess this has it's place, but not in my world.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Basic tools. basic techniques, basically a site for Women who want to DIY, but have never stepped foot into this arena before. Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying that is Ana's audience. If LOYL likes the look, create that, but the figuring how will be up to you. It appears pretty straight forward. If you feel a plan is needed to progress, find something that is a good plan, and do the exterior finish like the pic in this plan.

Woods? John is correct if you use straight BORG 2 x you will have movement. I suspect that Ana plan has that piece built off the wall, using a 2x4 ledger nailed, or screwed horizontally across the wall to attach the top onto, and a 2x4 wall for each side wall, and a 2x4 front wall. think basic framing construction technique, and then dress up the face with boards attached to the frame like lath used under a plastered wall. Much of this will hold the pine still, so movement will be limited, or cause the pine to split, gee we just antiqued that one
Big Grin

At the BORG you can find Radiata Pine which in 1" (3/4") thickness is usually KD, and can be quite stable. Always available, but seldom cheap. In SW Ohio it is usually 2 to 3 x the price of what I pay for off color soft Maple, Poplar, and a variety of local hardwoods that will take paint well, or dye if you are so inclined.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(01-15-2017, 07:06 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Your concerns indicate you already know what is likely to happen if you build it with construction lumber.  With all the time it takes to build something, starting with sub standard materials makes no sense to me.  It shouldn't be too hard to substitute KD materials into that design. 

John

That is exactly what I did.  A sideboard for my son and GF.    I knew they were going to use it heavily and couldn't imagine that the butt joints used in the original example would hold up being moved from Illinois to Michigan, and with their daily heavy use.     I liked the style of the design, (the GF picked it out from the site), but I just adapted the look with better construction techniques.  

I can't imagine that the side panels with the fake inserts held by dozens of pocket screws would look good close up, or be sturdy over time.   That, and the door construction would be number one on the  "do it differently" list.   Also... the pocket hole construction of the top is odd.  Serves no value that I can see if you have proper tools to get good edges to glue up.
“Poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten”
What I'm looking at is basically a Radford-type, Arts and Crafts Period piece. You can use the word Craftsman Style if you prefer.
I'm guessing that if you look in the old woodworking literature from the fifties to the seventies, you'll find plans-a-plenty for pieces like this. Some names that come to mind are "Cabinetmaking and Millwork" by John Fierer. R.J. DeChristoforo also comes to mind. Then of course, there's Radford himself. Popular mechanics? I'm convinced that there are a ton of plans out there for doing this right, with the added plus of outright authenticity.
This thing ain't Louis XV. It's nothing more than a rather stalwart, well constructed cabinet. Building it should be a piece of cake.
https://www.amazon.com/Cabinetmaking-Mil...068413277X
It looks like I might have misspelled his name. This is one that I learned from.
(01-16-2017, 05:23 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I built one piece from Anna White's plans. I used the plan to get finished demindions, but used traditional furniture construction techniques
Anna White has a very large number of plans, but her techniques are very, very basic

This...

The changing table I built used her plans as a reference.

Ed