planner height 11
Yes, you can make one out of wood and more power to you if you do. I made one out of steel and still have it but I missed on the height and can't turn it over to set planner blades. I picked this on up at an auction. A suggestion would be to change the design a little if made out of wood. I would add some lead shot for weight. weight is important for accidental movement and weight helps. Mitutoyo sells a 1/2 inch flat bottom point and I believe Starrett does also They used to be $5 but I am sure that has changed.

The only thing that is real important is that the hole must be as perpendicular to the bottom, Otherwise your reading will change from side to side and everywhere in between.  I am not sawing don't try just be careful to do as good as possible and be willing to live with what you get.

Tom
Well I don't know  but again using the medium ( wood ) to set the outfeed table is pretty darn fast and according to this DI very accurate. 

You bought a gauge at an auction and all the sudden everything is about the gauge. 

I know for a fact you cannot use that gauge effectively using the planer table as the reference to set knives. 

It would be so cumbersome and time consuming it would not even be worth the effort. 

[Image: jointerconditions007.jpg]

[Image: PC301512.jpg]

I have more than confident in my endeavors that I never question the end product. 

I know more than a few people dislike the stick method for setting knives and I also found that in most cases if the person having the issue questions me with their concerns directly I have been able to set them straight. As I always have said the first knife is the learning curve, after that all you can do is get proficient at it 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy