Carbon Monoxide Detectors
(01-21-2017, 12:08 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Speaking of carbon monoxide detectors I have 3 specific questions and only answer if you positively know the answer and no guesses please. 

First question: Is it better to mount a detector low on a wall, high on a wall or on the ceiling or does it not matter. You see many detectors that are plug ins with battery backups and usually the outlets are always low normal outlets.

Second question: Do detectors of any kind have the potential to store or build-up residual CO and then after awhile produce a false alarm. I say build up like if say a car in the garage produces some CO but not enough to set the alarm off but after a few times of this  it has built up over time. Or your furnace starts up and ever so small amount of CO is released and the same scenario occurs as above. 

Third question: Any brand better than another and any one model better than another. Is a digital readout more beneficial than a non one??

Thanks for the replys.

I know the older detectors did keep building up the levels and then false alarm.   Don't know if any of the modern ones do.  The Nitehawk does not build but it also records the highest level .
 The digital ones will let you know if any small amount of CO is detected well before the alarm.    This feature may give advanced warning that a small leak has developed.  I have only used the Kiddie Nitehawk with no problems.
 At the end of the 10 year life the Nitehawk will flash the display with a code to indicate the sensor is at the end of it's life.  The fire dept. recommended the Nitehawk.   Talk with your local FD, they will be happy to give you the info.
 Roly
On the first question CO will disperse in the air, so put the digital type where you can see the readout. Follow the manufactures directions but not in a dead air space or most say not within 15' of CO producing equipment or high humidity areas.
FWIW, I put Kidde digital readout CO detectors immediately above my thermostats.

That way I look at the CO detectors every time I look at or adjust the thermostats.

Avoids the "out of sight, out of mind" problem.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
The Kidde Nighthawk is the one I currently have but it is reaching its end of life span.
John T.
(01-21-2017, 02:29 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Just not sure to mount on wall or ceiling. Fact finding mission right now.
I don't think that matters, my interpretation of their recommendations is not to put it too close to the corner between the wall and ceiling, and definitely not in a nook where the wall takes a turn.  If you get the kind with a digital readout, I think that approximately chest high seems to be a perfect location. Ceiling at least a foot away from a wall seems like a good place as well.
(01-19-2017, 09:05 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote:  Yea man, every level. A good rule of thumb is one at the top and bottom of every stairwell and in any room with a gas appliance including water heaters and furnaces and one in the garage near the door to the house.

When I took my course for home inspections we were told a story about a man who died in his home of unknown causes. He was old. He was also an engineer. The house went on the market and was sold. It was inspected by a licensed home inspector. The next owners died too.

The first owner screwed with the exhaust flue from the gas furnace. He ran a portion of it inside the supply duct. He poked a hole right through the duct and ran the 4" flue pipe through it. Apparently to pull a little heat from it. It was leaking inside the supply duct and pumping just enough CO to kill everybody.

We were shown the picture and it was obvious that the the inspector didn't even look at it.

O.M.G.

I'm an engineer, and I'm amazed how stupid engineers can often be.  We get this thing in our heads that we know everything and apparently this guy didn't.
Mad

So he killed himself and two other people and for what? To save about 5 cents a month in heating costs.   
Upset
chris