Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Dated mine when it was installed.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I have one on each level of our house, for a total of 3. I almost lost the Mrs. Once to carbon monoxide is it is something we don't mess with. I got real lucky that day and will never forget. Mine all read good for 7 years when I installed them.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

the only source of carbon monoxide I have is from me range,no other sources in the house.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(01-19-2017, 12:26 PM)paarker Wrote: I have one on each level of our house, for a total of 3. I almost lost the Mrs. Once to carbon monoxide is it is something we don't mess with. I got real lucky that day and will never forget. Mine all read good for 7 years when I installed them.
 Yea man, every level. A good rule of thumb is one at the top and bottom of every stairwell and in any room with a gas appliance including water heaters and furnaces and one in the garage near the door to the house.

When I took my course for home inspections we were told a story about a man who died in his home of unknown causes. He was old. He was also an engineer. The house went on the market and was sold. It was inspected by a licensed home inspector. The next owners died too.

The first owner screwed with the exhaust flue from the gas furnace. He ran a portion of it inside the supply duct. He poked a hole right through the duct and ran the 4" flue pipe through it. Apparently to pull a little heat from it. It was leaking inside the supply duct and pumping just enough CO to kill everybody.

We were shown the picture and it was obvious that the the inspector didn't even look at it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

It was a miracle that the propane truck driver that found him survived.  He is still hospitalized.  I guess if one finds someone in a possible monoxide situation,
 you should move them to fresh air.  The driver was saved by a DNR officer who responded to the 911 call. Hope he regains all faculties.
(01-19-2017, 09:05 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote:  any room with a gas appliance including water heaters and furnaces and one in the garage near the door to the house.

What about false trips? Seems like being in the same room would cause issues?
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(01-20-2017, 01:31 PM)CLETUS Wrote: What about false trips? Seems like being in the same room would cause issues?

You need a good bit of CO to get a detector to trip. I set a ceiling mount unit near the furnace while I inspect it. I also use a hand held detector. I can almost always find a leak with the hand held unit and the ceiling unit doesn't trip. If it's false-ttripping, it's probably malfunctioning. Follow the directions on the detector. Blow it out with air, replace the battery and re-install.

When I do an inspection and meet the potential buyer, I bring a box of fresh Dunkin Donuts coffee and donuts and a pack of 9V batteries for the customer and show them how to replace the batteries. You'd be amazed how many people either never changed a battery in a detector or knew they had batteries in them.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Speaking of carbon monoxide detectors I have 3 specific questions and only answer if you positively know the answer and no guesses please. 

First question: Is it better to mount a detector low on a wall, high on a wall or on the ceiling or does it not matter. You see many detectors that are plug ins with battery backups and usually the outlets are always low normal outlets.

Second question: Do detectors of any kind have the potential to store or build-up residual CO and then after awhile produce a false alarm. I say build up like if say a car in the garage produces some CO but not enough to set the alarm off but after a few times of this  it has built up over time. Or your furnace starts up and ever so small amount of CO is released and the same scenario occurs as above. 

Third question: Any brand better than another and any one model better than another. Is a digital readout more beneficial than a non one??

Thanks for the replys.
John T.
the manufacturers seem to agree that location doesn't matter much.  Kidde says not in spaces with dead air, but also not near a window or door.  Also, not too near a source of CO or places where it will collect dust.  CO is very close in density with air, so it diffuses pretty well. If you look at Kidde's smoke detector location guidelines, they are much more specific.
(01-21-2017, 12:33 AM)EricU Wrote: the manufacturers seem to agree that location doesn't matter much.  Kidde says not in spaces with dead air, but also not near a window or door.  Also, not too near a source of CO or places where it will collect dust.  CO is very close in density with air, so it diffuses pretty well. If you look at Kidde's smoke detector location guidelines, they are much more specific.

Yes and I see about specific spacing off walls or if in corners and also in cathedral ceilings. I am looking to buy a few new ones to replace some older ones I have. It is about due time on those and this stuff is dangerous. Read too many stories. I am looking at the gas detector combination smoke, and carbon detector and want to put in the laundry room with the boiler, water heater and dryer. All gas operated. The detector will be at least 10 feet away from all appliances. Just not sure to mount on wall or ceiling. Fact finding mission right now.
John T.