Using the bandsaw properly
Sorry for the title but I could not resist. In this case, I am using the bandsaw table for support so I can use my coping saw.

[Image: DSCN1762.jpg]

I think the lowly coping saw is underappreciated by modern woodworkers. When I left behind my dad's full workshop and struck out on my own, I was tool poor. My kit consisted of a pocket knife, a sharpening stone and a combination square. I was able to use my meager student's funds to purchase a single chisel and a coping saw. That saw helped me make many useful things. I turned to it today when I needed to soften a corner.

First I found a good pattern.

[Image: DSCN1760.jpg]

I clamped the board on the bandsaw table because it was the perfect height. The bandsaw has a 1/2" blade and cannot cut this radius easily. But the coping saw just gnawed right through the cut.

[Image: DSCN1763.jpg]

I cut a little proud so I could finish up with a sanding block. And here is the result.

[Image: DSCN1765.jpg]

So in a shop with powertools sometimes a hand tool is the best one for the job.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I use my coping (saws) often. I keep good blades around also.

Hey turn on some more lights in there Jim.
Wink
Winkgrin
Winkgrin 

Hey you got some sammiches on that shelf behind the bandsaw?
Raised
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-17-2017, 04:50 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I use my coping (saws) often. I keep good blades around also.

Hey turn on some more lights in there Jim.
Wink
Winkgrin
Winkgrin 

Hey you got some sammiches on that shelf behind the bandsaw?
Raised

Household plastic containers get washed and repurposed in my shop. I especially like the deli meat containers. They are transparent, they stack, and they have dustproof lids. Great for small plane parts. I got suspicious when 3 in 1 switched to plastic bottles so I stored mine in a sawed off kitty litter container. My fears were realized when one of them bled out. The kitty litter bottom saved my workbench from an oily disaster. Now the shop foreman, Mr AnalCompulsive, insists on plastic containers everywhere.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Good idea.
Yes  I have a metal (eon's old) 3-in-one that has started a slight leak. I have 2, so will probably combine them.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-17-2017, 05:28 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Household plastic containers get washed and repurposed in my shop. I especially like the deli meat containers. They are transparent, they stack, and they have dustproof lids. Great for small plane parts. I got suspicious when 3 in 1 switched to plastic bottles so I stored mine in a sawed off kitty litter container. My fears were realized when one of them bled out. The kitty litter bottom saved my workbench from an oily disaster. Now the shop foreman, Mr AnalCompulsive, insists on plastic containers everywhere.

Talenti brand Gelato containers are my favorite. Clear plastic, pint size, finely threaded screw on lids. The gelato is delicious, too, so they're fun to empty.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.