Who made this axe? Any clues here?
Question 
[Image: IMG_9245_zpsoeqar6zx.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9246_zpspawmlgvy.jpg]

I see a number u894 and on other side a circle no letters I can see. Any help on age or maker will be appreciated.
It is somewhat hard to see in the photo, but I think that the marking is actually 'US94'. If so, it was made by Woodings Verona in 1994.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
wow I'm impressed you are correct. What is the round thing that looks like a metal dowel insert? Is it a casting mark.
I would have bet a lot it was much older.
(01-17-2017, 08:32 PM)Jack in omaha Wrote: What is the round thing that looks like a metal dowel insert? Is it a casting mark.

I think it was made by the other side of the die when the lettering was stamped into it.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Nice axe head.

I'll just mention it, although you probably realize that, when you put a handle to it, the part that's up in your pictures will be down - that is, the curve along the length of the head will be down.
I'll just mention it, although you probably realize that, when you put a handle to it, the part that's up in your pictures will be down - that is, the curve along the length of the head will be down. "

I am cornfused, Bill. Are you saying treat it like a hammer? Keep the pointy part away from you? Wonder ... how a straight handle will work?
yes it weighed in at about 4 pounds. Thanks I think I have a nice new replacement handle to use if I can find it.
(01-18-2017, 11:56 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I'll just mention it, although you probably realize that, when you put a handle to it, the part that's up in your pictures will be down - that is, the curve along the length of the head will be down. "

I am cornfused, Bill. Are you saying treat it like a hammer? Keep the pointy part away from you? Wonder ... how a straight handle will work?

Yeah, pointy part away, and droopy part of the edge down.
If you google Hudson Bay axe, it will show the proper orientation of the head in relation to the handle.
Ken