storage ideas
As I am turning more and more I have started to collect a ton of things turning related and I am starting to have trouble storing everything. I have thought about building a cabinet to go between the lathe legs with drawers. The other options I have thought about is a wall hanging cabinet or just peg board on the wall. What are some of the cons of having a cabinet under the lathe? I would hate to build it and then later have it not work best for me. The lathe I have is a 3520A if that makes a difference. Thanks
All the major tools in my shop (garage) are on mobile bases.  I opted for a mobile cabinet to fit under my lathe.  The pros are it holds nearly everything I need, lathe-wise.  My lathe tools are stored in a different cabinet.  The under-lathe cabinet stores my chucks, jaws, measuring devices, sandpaper, and tool rests.  Pros are it's mobile, and it is a dedicated place to store lathe stuff.  Cons are the size is limited to fit under the lathe (hence why I don't store the tools in there).  Since mine is mobile, it doesn't stay under the lathe when I use the lathe, so there's no issues with chips and shavings getting on the cabinet.  Nevertheless, I made sure I designed the top so that there's a bit of overhang in front of the drawers, so no dust or shavings get in the drawers.  I still manage to get wood flying onto the top of the cabinet.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have a cabinet which is also the base of my lathe.  Two drawers hold a lot of stuff, but only up high and convenient.  Shelves under drawers have small power tools and such.  I also have pegboard behind, and magnetic tool racks at lathe level.  Still not enough, as my sanding shaft/motor stores on top of the bench.  Every time I get something new or different, I have to find a place for it.  Never ends.  Or at least not after only 40 years....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have a cabinet between the legs of my jet lathe. Sits on top of the cross braces and probably adds at least 100# of ballast. Only problem I have ever had was if I didn't close one of the drawers all the way.
I use these.
I have 2 mounted on my wall. They work great for all the pen parts.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stack-On-22-Dra...et/3381356
Thanks I can see how pen turning would def add to the amount of "stuff" haven't gotten into that yet. I think I am going to build a cabinet next to the lathe and mount my grinder on top of that and see where my needs go from there. Mainly I need to store centers, tool rests and some smaller stuff.
Mine is located on the wall behind my lathe.  No I do not need to reach over spinning bowls or platters.
It is about 50" long, 30" high, and 1 ft deep.  It give me a cabinet 5.5" deep for shelves of chucks, finishes etc. and 16 linear feet of pegboard for turning tools, calipers, etc.
Any item is reachable within one step of the center of the lathe.
I use wall cabinets. any thing below the lathe will get dirty even in a drawer, but if you are limited in space it is one option.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(01-20-2017, 10:00 AM)Woodshop Wrote: I use wall cabinets. any thing below the lathe will get dirty even in a drawer, but if you are limited in space it is one option.

X2!

I take down the tools I think I will need and put them in the rack on the bed of the lathe (left of the headstock)

I keep the bigger stuff in a closeable steel cabinet away from the path of my chips. When I am turning chips fly just about everywhere.  If you don't want to have to vacuum everything else in your shop - or use a leaf blower  -  keep them behind closed doors or drawers.

[Image: lathe_cabinet_zpsdibfckau.jpg]
---------------------------
Czarcastic (Steven)

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
When I first started almost 8 years ago and working from a wheel chair a guy came and made a portable table that was 23" off of the ground.  He made it long enough so I could put an old kids dresser on the end and I put all my turning things in there like pen & pencil kits, other turning kits, turning blanks and other odds and ends in it with polishes to.

I no longer have the table but still kept the dresser and still has all of the same stuff in it so I can easily find everything.  Someday it may get full but I do not think so since it will go to the new place in a few months.

I am looking forward to seeing your pens buddy.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.