Wanted: hand tools for beginner class
I am putting together a real simple hand tool class for a local FolkSchool and am in need of a few tools in order to provide everything a student needs for the class. While my collaborator and I have a good collection of tools, there just aren't enough if there is good interest and we fill up with 8 students. We'll be making a very simple, shaker style end table that will entail, getting provided material to s4s and making some mortise and tenons. Hand planes are no problem at all as I have plenty to share. The main tools we are in most need of is marking gauges, chisels (specifically 1/4in mortise), and making knives. Of course we'll also need mallets but they can be shop made easy enough if none are available.

Now for the pitch...The FolkSchool is very new and doesn't yet have a dedicated space for a shop and classes. That means that all the instructors are responsible for providing everything necessary for the class. Herein lies the trouble... I would love to be in the position to front the money for all the tools, unfortunately that's not particularly feasible. While I'm not "straight-up asking" for free stuff, if anyone has extras of these tools and would like to see them put to good use, any donated tool will be given to the fudge School once they have a space. I'd also be happy to provide chain of custody sort of thing for the tool with pictures of students using them and their ultimate home in the fudge School shop. This would help ensure that I'm not just trying score some free or cheap tools for myself. If you have some of these tools available but aren't feeling quite generous enough to donate them, I'll certainly entertain all offerings. 

Here's a link to the FolkSchool website. https://duluthfolkschool.com/  I'm collaborating with the guy doing the saw horse class. Our class isn't yet listed because it is still in the development stage. I'll have a thread in the Hand Tools forum pretty soon asking for input on the class if you want to follow along. 

So... lemme have it. Is this a reasonable request or am I out of line?  I feel like its a good cause and most folks here are more than generous when it comes to spreading our craft and helping new woodworkers.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
It would be most helpful if you'd give us a specific list of the tools needed and perhaps give us a status report after awhile to let us know what you're still lacking.
I apologize if it wasn't clear what tools we need. While the project will take many different tools to complete, what we are lacking are any marking gauges, and 1/4 inch chisels, at least a few of which we'd like to be mortise chisels. And of course some mallets for chopping the mortises. Or perhaps you are referring to how many of each tool we need. At first we are going to have folks work in pairs on each table so if we fill the class with 8 students we'll need 4 sets of tools. Going forward, we'd like to have each student build their own piece so the need will increase to 8 sets. Between the two instructors we have about 2.5 sets of tools. Ideally we'd like to have full tool kits for students so that as instructors we won't need to pass our personal tools around too much.

Try a slotted screw in a scrap piece of wood as a marking gauge. You can screw it in and out to set the distance.  Just mark one wall, and have them chop square to that 1 side.

Try a regular 1/4 bevel edge chisel to chop the mortises.  They work great. No reason to use an actual mortising chisel unless you have extra.

In my opinion, if you're teaching them a new hobby; teach them how to get started quickly and easily... they dont NEED this and need that.
Thanks for the input Strokes77. Teaching is also my day job and an important thing I've learned is to show that there is usually more than one path to completion. While I agree that we may not NEED every particular too, I believe that it's important to provide the opportunity for students to see more than method for accomplishing a task. While its a good idea to show and use a makeshift marking gauge, I also want to show how slick and efficient dedicated tools do the job.  The same approach goes for chisels. I know that a regular bench chisel will work for cutting mortises, I want to give student a chance to use and see more that one method.

(01-18-2017, 11:56 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: Thanks for the input Strokes77. Teaching is also my day job and an important thing I've learned is to show that there is usually more than one path to completion. While I agree that we may not NEED every particular too, I believe that it's important to provide the opportunity for students to see more than method for accomplishing a task. While its a good idea to show and use a makeshift marking gauge, I also want to show how slick and efficient dedicated tools do the job.  The same approach goes for chisels. I know that a regular bench chisel will work for cutting mortises, I want to give student a chance to use and see more that one method.

I agree with you.  I'm also a teacher in my day job.  Was just offering an option for an "alternate assignment", or if you will, a "Modification".

Smile
I appreciate your input. While the typical student for the fudge School is likely able to afford entry or mid-level tools its important to show that things can be done on a shoestring budget if necessary. My goal is to show at least 2 ways to do every step of the build. For layout we'll look at using a wheel gauge (i've got a veritas), a wooden marking gauge with a knife or scratch point, and even a combo square with a pencil or marking knife. And now I can add the shop made version that you mentioned.

This conversation is getting a bit in the weeds for the swap and sell forum so I will work on getting a thread started in Hand Tools asap so we can talk about these kinds of details there.

I think I have an extra marking gauge and will check

Would you need a small square also?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Just curious, is this in Duluth MN or Duluth GA?  Guessing Minnesota since one of the classes mentions portage but none of the webpages that I looked at actually indicated where it was located.  Good luck on the class, sounds very enjoyable.
Thanks Arlin. We will need some squares but a small machinist square can be had for less that $10 at Menards. I've also got a couple that I can part with so I left it off the list. If you have one to offer I'll gladly consider it but I didn't see the need to request for them.

I am up North in Minnesota where many people would gladly commute to work via canoe if it was possible. In fact for some folks who live and work near Lake Superior, paddling to work is a reality.