Fine Woodworking Live 2017 ???
The ??? refers to the price: $495 (that is the discounted early-bird rate).  

Is it just me, or does that seem somewhat steep?

http://www.finewoodworkinglive.com/
Does seem pretty steep for a weekend event. It's really just 2 full days. For less that double that you can go to the Woodwrights school fora 6 day class.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
The cost precludes going alone. So I would need to lay out an extra $40 for a tag along. (Not horrible for one dinner.) One bright spot is the Panda Garden, next door. 

I have never found "Watch Me" seminars very enlightening. It's a throwback to college and lecture halls. And, there is always the 49.95 disc instead of a grainy thumb the size of Becksvoort's head. 

See you there!

PS. Outrageous! I had "f0rk " out, but the post displayed "fudge". My edit finally changed to "lay". I wonder......
I had the same trouble with "fo1k" displaying as "fudge" in a post. Really weird...
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
About the same price as "Woodworking in America", also a seminar-based woodworking venue.  I haven't attended since the going to the first few editions, but WIA to me is limited in the same regard that you mentioned regarding the FWW event: not a hands-on experience.  It really depends on the subject matter being presented, but learning skills is only done effectively by having tools in-hand during the process.  I would rather spend that amount of money on a class.
(01-19-2017, 09:49 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: About the same price as "Woodworking in America", also a seminar-based woodworking venue.  I haven't attended since the going to the first few editions, but WIA to me is limited in the same regard that you mentioned regarding the FWW event: not a hands-on experience.  It really depends on the subject matter being presented, but learning skills is only done effectively by having tools in-hand during the process.  I would rather spend that amount of money on a class.

I also went to a few WIAs and there were classes with some hands-on experience.  I took a dovetail cutting class with Roy Underhill (hands-on), and part of one of the saw classes by Ron Herman we all got to try several different saws with different rakes and lengths to find what's most comfortable for each user.  Predominately, though, most classes were lecture without participant hands-on experience.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
For those that are close to the Dungeon Shop......admission is usually either free or a dinner.    People are welcome most weekends, just let me know when.   Figure out what tools you would like to use, and what task you want to try.   I am sure  we can find something to do..with YOUR hands.
Big Grin    Again,  anyone  is welcome to visit when they are in the area.  

usually, I will show a task, and then have the visitor  try their hands at it.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that