rust on set screw for shower
I have a set of handles to replace on my shower faucet, but noticed that the old set screws get rusted in place and are difficult to remove.
In fact one was impossible and I had to pry off the handle. 
(Originally I had only one broken handle to replace. Now I have two, so I figured what the heck and I'm replacing all three.)

Being that this is in a shower, there's plenty of water to cause this problem.
I was thinking maybe using something on the threads of the set screw to either inhibit the corrosion or at least make the set screw removable next time I need to remove the handle.
I was also thinking maybe plugging the hole (on the handle that accesses the set screw) with plumber's putty to help keep the water out.
Think this would work?
Any ideas on how to minimize the corrosion on these set screws, or help them be easier to remove later?

Thanks for your input.
Ray
Ray
If you have a True Value or Ace with a good fastener selection close by, just get new set screws. My local store has plenty of stainless set screws in many sizes. It's better than trying to prevent corrosion or oxidation on existing fasteners, especially if they are not fully corrosion resistant to begin with.
Secret Weapon #1. A thin film of plumbers grease on all the screws, spindles and splines, etc. At installation and every repair of a faucet. Saves a ton of grief down the road.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Thank you for the suggestions.
The set screws thread with the handles, which are not stainless steel.
Still I suppose that would work well to have half of the union in stainless steel instead of both sides not stainless steel.
I also suppose that a good amount of grease wouldn't hurt to protect the threads of the handles.
Ray
Dogwood, if this a continuing problem, you might try using a bit of clear caulk to seal up the set screw opening. It's water proof and seems like it should keep the set screws from rusting. I also like the idea of trying to find stainless steel set screws. That might solve all your problems.

Good luck!
Another option - I don't know about Lowe's, but i am certain Home Depot has many sizes of stainless socket cap set screws in their bagged/drawer fastener section. I bought some 1/4-20 there, and while that's a common size and far too big for a shower handle assembly, they definitely had all the standard smaller machine screw sizes. If it's metric, you might need a specialty store.

I would be hesitant to caulk over it - not because it won't work, but because it will make removal a pain. Any sort of non-hardening and non-curing petroleum-based product will work also (like Vaseline) and won't make it impossible to remove later.
I have found myself using Never Seez or equal on any threaded fastener I might think I might ever need to remove, including lugnuts on the wheels of my cars...Messy if you are not careful, but very effective...
I would think that better grades of faucets would included chrome plated brass screws or stainless steel screws.  

Chrome is decorative but not a particularly corrosion resistant finish.

For example zinc plating has a salt spray rating of 92 hours with a clear or blue chromate.

Chrome (or bright nickel) will have a salt spray rating of 20 to 25 hours.

Powder coating will get 200 to 400 hours (but cannot be used on fasteners because it will clog up the threads).  

Chrome's main advantage (after appearance) is that it is an extremely hard finish that is quite abrasion resistant.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
anti seize compound
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne