Price for a used Legacy Mill?
Got an email from a friend that one of the local shops has this for sale.  Can anyone ID the model number for me and give me an idea of what it might be worth?
The shop owner is asking $1200 including the router and all gears and bits.

[Image: leg1_zpsku4emdn2.jpg]

[Image: leg2_zps28m2zk3f.jpg]

[Image: leg3_zpszz44zly2.jpg]

Wondering if it's worth the price, 
Thanks
---------------------------
Czarcastic (Steven)

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Just curious is that a larger version of the Craftsman unit for routing spirals?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I believe it is a 1000 model  which is what I have. 

IF all the gears are there including the reversing gears  and a fairly substantial bit selection (I got 15 bits with mine including the rope and spiral sets)  I would offer 700-1000 cash. 

If any of the basic machine parts are  missing be forewarned: the builder is still in business in Provo UT but shifted all his work to a more automated CNC machine and the gears are no longer available for purchase. He once told me he would make them as a one off but the price was way out of my budget 

The other thing to look at is the Delrin drive split nuts in both the lateral and cross platen positions. If they are chewed up badly you are faced with replacement ( again not from the OEM) 

Most everything else can be shop fabricated if need be. 

I suggest careful  scrutiny of the unit first and some contemplation on a counter offer 

1200 is IMO too much 

Bob: it is similar to the craftsman, just  much larger and more versatile  with the 3 hp PC router a workhorse if you need it to be 

They can be fussy to setup and operate though 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I think that is old 1000 or 1500. I had a 1000EX with the Legacy-supplied legs. The long top rails were extruded aluminum, not square tube. The tail stock slid on the long rails not those diamond ways. There were extruded rails for the Y-axis, too. I think $1000 would be generous.

Here's some info on the 1000. http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/LegacyM...ymill.html

Check out this site: http://ornamentalmills.com/history/index.html

As was said, if the thing isn't in tip top shape, it'll be a lot of trouble to get it working again.
I had someone wanting to sell me the same thing for a little less and I sure which I would have had the money back then.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I know this is a tangent from what you asked.
But before you spend money on a legacy mill, consider a DIY CNC solution.
I am not going to promise you that it will be cheaper, but you will not have to worry about obsolete parts.
There is a guy on youtube that built one which is very similar to the Vega lathe duplicator but he CNCed the scraper moving in and out.
Or you can put a router there.

Of course, there is a time commitment to doing that, if you buy this and it is in good condition, you are cutting the same day.
But if you have a lot of spindles to do, it is a lot faster to load a blank, run the job and you can do something else in the shop while it is working.
Of course you can not leave it completely unattended, but after the first one successfully cuts, there is a lot less risk to doing the next 100.

Just wanted to give you another option, even though that option may not be better for your situation.
Looks to be an older model 1000, offer him $800. I had the 1000EX and its the newer version, these are really cool machines.