Workbench question
Yes was not wanting to put anymore cash into the bench. Thanks for all the advice, worked out a deal with a friend for some 2x12x12.
Mark
(01-19-2017, 05:53 PM)Admiral Wrote: True, but I think the OP wants to use the stock he has on hand.

OP said

"Tight on funds. Building a new Workbench, yellow pine top 1x12. Plank style build. Can I sandwich Doug fir between 2 pieces of yellow pine to build a thicker top, add more weight and such, without seeing issues? All lumber has been in the garage shop for several years now. Thoughts?

Thanks"

Quit going all clairvoyant on me. Totally missed the all lumber has been in............
Big Grin

My bad
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I like the suggestion to rip the 1"x12"'s and laminate them. Laying them flat will make a horribly unstable bench top.
Hardboard is cheap. Make a top for the bench out of it to use when painting or doing the dirty work.

I use left over scrap floor laminate pieces. Cleans up easily.
The original idea came from the bench Garrett Hack built in fine woodworking a few years ago. I figured if it was good enough for him, then it would work for me.

A WORKBENCH - 30 YEARS IN THE MAKING was the name of it.
Mark
Ok so I have started my bench and I have a question.
To all that have tail vises, do you use them, would you do it again? I believe I would as I have limited space and I have the hardware I got from someone here a few years back. I'll post some pictures maybe this week. Top is glued up and base is cut to rough size. No joinery. Things went better than I had hoped. A couple of high spots on top Bout 1/16 or less. A little twisted but not bad.
Mark
I encourage you to add the tail vice 

I use my tail vice far more than I ever expected 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

My Lie-Nielsen tail vise is the favorite part of my bench, had originally purchased a BC wagon vise and the little voice in my head would not shut up about the new design tail vise that doesn't sag. It's a more difficult installation but it's worth the effort, added a speed handle to mine and shortened the dog hole distances a bit over the LN instructions.

Highly recommend a tail vise gads more functionality....

Andy-- mos maiorum

Attached Files Image(s)

You have some very good advice there. Amazing in fact. Cheap is easy I have used commercial doors. I look for a commercial remodel. The last door I got was from an Arby's it was 8 foot and so heavy I can only lift one end up at a time. I make two pedestal sets leg with rails for support to add rigidity and a stretcher down low.   Also, I have seen Menards and others sell maple butcher block tops and they do sales on kitchen remodel items several times a year