learning to write
Well now, 
Confused
Confused
Confused

your negativity statement is  untrue. Unless of course being able to do something you think is impossible to do with rudimentary tools like a stick.  The only thing in my writing that you perceive as negative is the fact that you cannot get past your own bias. 

I can set knives on a jointer  with a stick.  As far as a jointer goes I have a complete tutorial written with pics of how to do it with a stick. you can see it right here

You can set them with an expensive gauge. You have some words that are kinda meaningful and do not address the actual efforts it would take to use said gauge . Only that it is more accurate. I challenge this statement, my knives are true to the rotation within 1/2 of .001" using a stick.. Could I get closer? I usually do, but if one is out a half a thousandth I am not beating myself up over it.

So let's go a bit further which of the above is for  the guy who has to replace a set knives and does it about 1 /10 the time I do? Would someone else choose on a weekend with no Woodcraft just down the road to buy a One Way and wait another week for it to arrive then try to decipher how to set knives with it? Then add in the fact that the kids need shoes this month for instance? what would you choose?

Additionally, setting knives is never an issue in a planer using the readily available gauge supplied with most planers. furthermore,  to my knowledge you have yet to address how a one way is better or more accurate for setting knives in a stationary planer when I cannot even fathom how you can do it. 

If a simple solution exists for the everyday person why not address that instead of promoting something that is not viable for most weekend woodworkers.   

I will continue critiquing  your writing, you really do need an editor. You cannot even acknowledge that metal can and will move given a set of circumstances that are proven and reliable. How can you as a machinist not allow for that and hold your .001" as a baseline for wood is beyond me....

Wood   follows the similar rules but when it does the changes are more pronounced.  Machines will never be able to account for that and setups can and do change over time... IOW variables abound that you have yet to address other than to say you can get mighty close but it will take a  longer? IME there is a point where it works or it does not, I have seen it both ways. 

Out of curiousity have you ever tried to fit 10 joints together in a four panel door if they are cut just right one day and on assembly day the moisture content in the glue and air has made that task much harder because you now have to double up clamps to pull the joinery together due to moisture expansion? You also have to factor in that glue has a finite open time and at some point you are going to be tasked with fitting three joints in that time period not once but twice? 

How do you account for that? Stop what you are doing and trim every single joint a second time? That is silly when you can simply account for the glue by removing .004" from  the joint at the tongue on day one.  I work to a relatively common point and .001" is not it, so what if it is .005 or .006 it is still going together without a big hammer and twice as many clamps as you require....

I have done some pretty large production runs with far more complicated assemblies than what I spoke of above over they years and as a general rule I do not struggle or fight the assemblies. I occasionally miss on an elevation between two parts but everyone does that and .001" is not going to change that. However, keeping a clean working surface is more important than the machine setup and an ongoing issue that must be addressed for accurate work. Machine setups are generally done once and to a high degree of accuracy here so much so I am not even phased by the stacks of lumber it takes to build a rather large home full of custom passage and entry doors, or even a complete kitchen and the millwork for that home.... 

so to say I am inaccurate is to say I am incompetent. I am neither. 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I'm with you Tom and I find people read a few words and skip everything else and click to tell their opinion and if they really read the whole thing they would know they are talking Nonsense or acting like a child does.

Also like you said People NEED to READ the WHOLE thing before making a comment and sometimes they really do not need to say anything at all.

I like what you are trying to say and trying to impart your knowledge to others so they can learn now what has taking you years of learning.

I will be reading.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
some of us learned differently and mostly I just put what I have to say out there to those who cannot afford to own the best when one can do just fine with a simple jig 

If it works why denigrate it? 

you above everyone else here ought to recognize that 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(01-19-2017, 03:31 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Writing something technical is more difficult than telling a story. People tend see what they want to read, not what's written. Have you told somebody something and she didn't hear what you said, she just wanted to hear her opinion in your words?

Fixed!  A question should not have ended with a period.
Big Grin
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(01-19-2017, 06:51 PM)JGrout Wrote: some of us learned differently and mostly I just put what I have to say out there to those who cannot afford to own the best when one can do just fine with a simple jig 

If it works why denigrate it? 

you above everyone else here ought to recognize that 

Joe

Joe

I have to disagree with you buddy.  If anyone can buy a table saw and bandsaw and other power tools they can buy a Micrometer and other measuring tools to not only make they cuts better but will HAVE to have them to make sure their power tools are correctly set when they put them together. 

I am thinking that is what is wrong with a lot of cuts for some people is they did not set up their equipment properly and they will never have a good cut.  On a simple jig just how do you measure that to get it square or correct?  You HAVE to have something that will show it correctly. 
Also are the only measuring tools you have is Jigs of which I certainly hope not and doubt it highly.

I do believe you are Over thinking this instead of what is being implied and there is no reading between the lines since it is so basic.  If you have a beef just do not read what he is writing and Just think maybe someone who is learning is taking offence at what you are writing.  (Not me)
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
you are welcome to disagree if you wish Buddy 

Some of us have better things to do with money , and for the cost of a One way gauge I can own enough lumber to build something  

So buddy the next time you go wishing for whatever think about  the ability to do something with a simple cheap solution, it may be the difference between owning a nice machine and one you constantly are working on 

Personally I  would rather spend money on wood to make something rather than mics that gather dust.

Cecil , I think you made a mistake. The words you are supposed to say is "yes,dear"
A man of foolish pursuits
Downwindtracker2 - Thanks for correcting my grammatical error
Laugh
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I agree with all of you. After all, truth is variable opinion.

[Image: lurk5.gif]
Arlin " If anyone can buy a table saw and bandsaw and other power tools they can buy a Micrometer and other measuring tools"

It doesnt really work like that. Over the years ive seen people here post about their new shop. They build a small building on their property and post pics of new power tools getting wheeled in. Or i see pics of peoples equipment and its all current. I wonder,, how do these guys do it? Im not looking for an answer to that.
I,on the other hand, slowly acquired my tools over maybe a 15 year period. All used and at a very good price.....but when i was able to get them. I also bought tools thinking i could refurb them and resell them,,,that failed. A family,3 kids and a house and bills in nyc is tough. My thickness planer was basically given to me,,my 16" bandsaw i got for free. Everything was found on craigslist.
I can go to harbor freight and by a $20 dial indicator but im already thinking of an answer to give my wife when the new planer blades arrive.
Every planer instruction sheet i looked at shows how to make a gauge out of a block of wood,,,for setting everything from the table to what is over it. I will go the cheapest way first.
This was not written as any sort of argument,,,im just saying i have a budget and will use the caliper/indicator once.