Dividers and calipers
Looking at getting some inside and outside calipers and dividers to help as I start turning (I know different forum, but thought that I would get good answers here as well).  What should I be looking for in calipers and dividers?  I'd prefer to go old rather than new, but the prices on dividers on ebay are pretty variable (and I'm not sure I need something at the Starrett level to start off).  Any help is appreciated!
What sizes are you looking for ? I have some that I can get rid of really cheap. Not sure if they are no name or name brand.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I don't turn a lot, but when I do I always use a small outside caliper. It is the one that is bulbous looking and mine is about six inches long. I set it to size using the original piece and then use it on the spinning project as a go-nogo gauge. It really saves time. The other dozens of calipers languish in their storage box.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
You can make your own if you care to.  Calipers http://makezine.com/2016/07/13/make-your-own-calipers/  which are useful for measuring things, rather than making them to test and fit with things as simple as open-end wrenches for smaller, and plywood half bores for larger.  This type, in much simpler form, can be made out of good plywood for almost any purpose. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mak...ORM=VRDGAR

If you're going to hollow, you will want a caliper to check hidden wall thickness.  Open pieces will be fine using fingers - after stopping the lathe.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mak...ORM=VRDGAR  People make similar using stiff wire, but I like what he's showing.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Wanted a couple of high quality small dividers, waited for Zoro to have a 25% off sale and got a couple of new ones for about 2/3 the cost of used on eBay, and free shipping .

-- mos maiorum

-- mos maiorum
Thanks, everyone.  I was thinking of starting with 6 or 8" dividers, inside, and outside calipers.  Would prefer not to make my own since shop time is already limited and I am behind on another project.  Are there certain brands to stay away from? 

I haven't looked at Zoro, will take a look.  Thanks!
Smallest Lee Valley, waste of steel.
A man of foolish pursuits
(01-25-2017, 08:27 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Smallest Lee Valley, waste of steel.

Okay, I'll bite: Why?
Jason

I needed a 4" inside calipers , the end are blunt and crude to the point of being useless. They didn't go small enough. I ended up buying a Starrett, new ! 6" and up , never seen any small ones, the Made in India Groz or Soba will work fine.
A man of foolish pursuits