Bench top gap filling
You don't really need one more compound to consider for filling, but I've been using this JB Weld wood stuff lately, and it has completely replaced the other choices for my use. To me those gaps would not be acceptable in everyday use, and I would do something about them. If that had been hardwood I would do the saw kerf and wood strip thing, but with 2x construction, this filler would likely be my first choice. BTW, alot of us didn't do nearly as well with our first lamination and first experience with hand planes.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-22-2017, 08:25 AM)gMike Wrote: Another option that I've found that works well is to cover a bench top with 1/8" Masonite using double stick tape.  When it gets beat up, rip it off and reskin it with another sheet.  At least in my world, it isn't about a bench being furniture, it's about it being useful without having to be worried about it.

+1.  A laminated bench looks nice, but less so after it gets stained and gauged, or sawn and routed into as I've done.  When that happens you are forced to either live with it or patch and flatten it again.  Putting a piece of Masonite on top eliminates that issue, and in your case solves the visual cracks.  I use Masonite that's smooth on both sides.  When one side gets too unsightly I flip it over.  Every few years I have to replace it which takes about 15 minutes.

If you use a Masonite top you could fill those cracks if you wanted with anything that appeals to you because it won't show.  And it would be best to put a skin of Masonite on the bottom, too, permanently, just so the moisture exchange is equal on both sides.  

John
(01-22-2017, 01:55 AM)Tapper Wrote: Fixed!

DT

yes in about 1/10 the time it took you to write it out
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I'd just go with the Bondo, as Joe suggested.  It's my go-to filler for knots and cracks on anything I'm going to paint or that I'm not particularly concerned with appearance (like shop stuff).  It's easy to mix and work in to the cracks, hardens quickly, and planes and sands well.  After a little abuse to your bench top, you won't even notice it.
Bob
(01-22-2017, 12:27 PM)JGrout Wrote: yes in about 1/10 the time it took you to write it out

Right you are "Your Highness!" It's just amazing how quickly and easily sarcasm and denigration flow from the mind to the fingertips of certain people - own it!!! 
Yes
Yes
Yes

To the OP, I'm still sticking with the saw kerf/fill with wooden shim method. I also thought John's suggestion to cover it with Masonite is another good idea. I've used both solutions on benches in my shops in the past with good results. Tip: If you decide to use any method other than bondo, don't post the fact in this thread, lest you're ready to bear the wrath of "he who is ALWAYS correct", i.e it's my way or the highway, His Majesty J. Grout - YMMV.

Doug

P.S. Just remembered that Norm Abram built a very nice bench on the New Yankee Workshop show one episode. IIRC he built the legs, frame and top out of pine and covered the top with Masonite. "Good enough for Norm..........."
It is nice to see you agree with me
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy