How to make this angled sliding DT joint?
(01-22-2017, 07:23 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: I want to make this angled sliding dovetail joint.  It's not to scale, but the pieces will be almost 2" wide (this view) and 3" wide (side view).  Actually, from the top, it will look like a half lap, and you'll only see the DT from underneath--so a stopped sliding DT.

I've never cut a sliding DT but could figure it out if the intersecting pieces were 90deg to each other, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this one.  I haven't determined the angle yet, but it will be close to what I've depicted.

Thanks,
Paul

That is pretty straight forward to do with hand tools.

Make the male sections first: mark and chisel the waste. You can keep one side square and angle the other. 

Then transfer to the sockets, and saw and chisel.

The angles give the illusion that it is tricky, but it is simply a sliding dovetail. Just imagine that you were sawing dovetails for a drawer. A sliding dovetail is simply stretched out.

From a current build: straight sliding dovetail ...

[Image: SofaTableIIIEndRails_html_5e58fa21.jpg]

[Image: SofaTableIIIEndRails_html_2120ccaa.jpg]

Tapered sliding dovetail ...

[Image: SofaTableIIIEndRails_html_7a9b0a5c.jpg]

[Image: SofaTableIIIEndRails_html_195e91b7.jpg]

[Image: SofaTableIIIEndRails_html_m741d4220.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
See if you can find the Roy Underhill show on which he has done this, He is quite remarkable laying out and cutting dovetails.
He has done blind, tapered and hidden dovetails on several of his shows.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I completed the table a couple weeks ago and tomorrow I submit it to the county fair.

One of the halves is secured with a bolt and threaded inserts.  This allows the two halves to separate and makes shipping easier.  Dominoes help keep it aligned.

The glass top weighs about 70 pounds so I'm submitting it with a sheet of plexiglass instead that is almost the same size.

Paul
Very nice. Very nice indeed.

Good luck at the fair.