Any tips on wire nutting three 10 guage
For those that think the wagos simply fall off lol, actually do your own test and fully install one. Push the wires fully to the top of the clear plastic. Then try and remove it. Report back to us with the tools you use lol. You are not pulling it off by hand.

I did not use wagos on 10ga.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(01-23-2017, 10:59 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: For those that think the wagos simply fall off lol, actually do your own test and fully install one. Push the wires fully to the top of the clear plastic. Then try and remove it. Report back to us with the tools you use lol. You are not pulling it off by hand.

The only ones I have ever seen an issue with are the led parking lot pole lights. The manufacturer uses them to hook the power supply to the led panel. One panel didn't come on at a new restaraunt... They didn't strip the wires enough and barely pushed them in. Royal pita to fix as there was no equipment on site to get up to the pole light other than a slytrak and and a pallett..
    These were a brand new style light and after that I made sure to check every one of their connections and there were bad connections on every light. Worse than imported lights....

Also some don't think they can handle the amperage. John Ward did a destruction test on youtube and the wago actually held up better than more conventional products.
an easy way of getting them together to splice is strip them long. I don't know how much extra wire you have, (code requires at least 6 inches upon entry into a box.) but strip the wires long like 1 1/2 - 2" or so, or longer if you have the wire length. manually twist them just to get a bit of bend going then switch to lineman and twist/tighten the splice. I don't do this for everything as I think using only lineman is better practice, but getting a #10 to start it's bend is tough particularly when splicing to #12's. best of luck.
(01-23-2017, 09:13 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I've done a fair bit of wiring.  I always do the tug test.  I've had many more failures with wire nuts than the push-in connectors. 

+1  Far more pull outs with wire nuts than with push-in's.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
(01-23-2017, 10:59 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: For those that think the wagos simply fall off lol, actually do your own test and fully install one. Push the wires fully to the top of the clear plastic. Then try and remove it. Report back to us with the tools you use lol. You are not pulling it off by hand.

I partially disagree with your statement.  It takes some work, but you can pull the ones for the smaller wires (<=12 ga) off by hand.  Done it enough times to know that you can get the wires out with no tools when you need to, but as long as you push the wires as far into the clear plastic as you can (until it touches, like you recommend), they won't come out easily and certainly won't "fall out" as claimed by others.  Takes time, some strength and wiggling (sometimes LOTS of wiggling), but they come out with no tools.  My experience is limited to solid wires only and only with 14 and 12 ga wires.  The only time I have used them with stranded wires are when they came with the recessed lights I installed, they were already pre-installed on the stranded wires and I just had to insert my solid wires. 

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
Strip back twice as much or more than you need for wire nuts, twist with lineman's pliers, cut the excess off, install wire nut. Trickiest part when twisting is to ensure all three conductors are twisting, and not just one or two around the other(s). And using a wire nut listed for three 10 gauge conductors goes without saying.

If you twist them correctly, the wires won't come apart. The wire nut is belt and suspenders, in a manner of speaking, and insulation (of course). But they can be really difficult to separate later after the nut is removed (solid conductors).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-24-2017, 08:37 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Strip back twice as much or more than you need for wire nuts, twist with lineman's pliers, cut the excess off, install wire nut.  Trickiest part when twisting is to ensure all three conductors are twisting, and not just one or two around the other(s).  

I wish someone would have told me this along time ago...
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(01-24-2017, 12:22 AM)Robert Adams Wrote:          Also some don't think they can handle the amperage. John Ward did a destruction test on youtube and the wago actually held up better than more conventional products.

Do you have a link to this? I'm curious. The real test is whether they can handle rated current after 15 years of oxidation.

I like Wagos. Especially on rework where the wires are short. I just wonder, because of the method of retention, whether you can push rated amperage on aged hardware.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(01-24-2017, 09:52 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Do you have a link to this?  I'm curious.  The real test is whether they can handle rated current after 15 years of oxidation.  

I like Wagos.  Especially on rework where the wires are short.  I just wonder, because of the method of retention, whether you can push rated amperage on aged hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYD8e7idnY

and  maybe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekh65Jx1Qc0
(01-24-2017, 11:55 AM)srv52761 Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYD8e7idnY

and  maybe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekh65Jx1Qc0
Thank you, I'll review them this evening.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry