Interior Divided Light Doors Build Along - Part 15
Here's a link to Part 14.      

I sanded everything one final time with 150 grit.  The grain on Sapele is a lot like some mahogany varieties, it's pretty open grained, so I felt no need to go finer.   I had made my color samples using Trantint in water and that caused quite a bit of raised grain.  I didn't want to pre-raise the grain and then have to sand all those parts again, so I decided to use DNA instead of water to make the dye.  But first I made another sample and also looked at using two coats at half the concentration to allow myself more latitude while spraying.  That worked out to be really close to my original color sample so I made up a liter of dye. 

[Image: RY37lTwKVFNDpms9qBdGearzUo0EyVI5szehWkJZ...38-h628-no] 

The dye is Transtint Lemon Yellow, and I need it to kill some of the red color in the Sapele to match the aged finish of the existing doors and trim.  The concentration is 2.7% nearly half a bottle in a liter.  The gun is my Qualspray AM-6008 with the pressure assisted 3M PPS cup system.  I can't say enough good things about this gun.  It sprays everything from dye to BM Advance (w/o thinning) beautifully.

Here's the door ready to finish:

[Image: IluTCs-xKl9vdhTeRMqqzgABFz8V3VuzJ7tsDhB4...71-h628-no]

And here it is after the dye:

[Image: OhC7zi3F57fzUKob2wV1iAzzSaeWE1-LYhToBF0y...71-h628-no]

Looks like Tweety Bird doesn't it?  It took almost 2 liters of dye to do all the parts.  

Without sanding I then sprayed a coat of Sealcoat shellac, which pushes it back towards red but not nearly as red as it would be w/o the dye. 

[Image: 4eTQoNa-AYLkdaepl-A-aqHMeqfo7hbIpqs2CL_H...71-h628-no]

Finally, I sprayed the doors with 2 coats of EnduroVar Satin, sanding after the first coat with P600.  The EnduroVar shifts the color back towards yellow again.  EnduroVar easily sands to white powder in 90 minutes.  Using DNA for the dye allows you to complete the entire finishing process in one day.    

[Image: beaDpvevXKhVAsxxAs1upefd4r7Vpx0MW88jnUZr...71-h628-no]

Here's a closeup with my two color samples:

[Image: k--W2Vg2ki6MeFFFLI_ThlsDMgMxwp7yGPQSOiEg...71-h628-no]

The color changes as you view things from different angles, more red from some angles, more yellow from others.  But it's really close to me color sample so I'm very happy with the finishing. 

Again, a whole lot of parts:

[Image: 9rYOfZs5BpeY8mfEWU_hk6lLXs9Xj2d8o9xSJiTX...38-h628-no]

And more that aren't shown.

The tempered glass arrived Friday so I can install it this week.  Getting close. 

John
Very nice John! 
Yes  Can't wait to see the final installation pics!

Doug
That finish really did turn out nice, I love it. Well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
It's been quite an adventure watching this process! Nice work
I would have freaked out once it turned yellow and thought I screwed it up but that's from lack of experience. Very nicely done.
(01-23-2017, 04:59 PM)Duane N Wrote: I would have freaked out once it turned yellow and thought I screwed it up but that's from lack of experience.  Very nicely done.

That's why I make samples, start to finish.  I rarely get surprised since I started doing that.  Still, those doors are much larger than my color sample and all that yellow sure got my attention after I sprayed them.  

John  

I put the glass in the first door today.  It looks like it came out of a high end shop.   

John
John , they did come out of a high end shop , yours . I mean that , always great work . Thanks for your build alongs . Gary