The case for a Masonite Top
I love tempered Masonite for my workbench tops. It is non-glare and durable; protects cutting tools. Laminate is too slippery.
I've got dog holes and vices on my two benches. So I can't really cover them up. For glue ups or finishing I usually put cardboard down temporarily and then throw it away after it gets saturated
Everybody needs a beater bench. I am in the process of building a second hand tool bench to replace my beater bench, however I will be keeping my beater bench to use as a "beater bench". To do all the stuff one doesn't want to do on their good benches.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
The seat bottoms of bar stools at my local Starbucks are made from masonite (slightly formed) and with a clear finish.  It has a nice industrial look.

I saw a TV show once where they cut the sheets into 2 foot squares and used it for flooring.  I forget if they applied a finish.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The bench I've had since 1987 has a Masonite top. I made a lamination of three pieces. At the bottom I've got 3/4" plywood. Above that, there is 3/4" particleboard, and last of all, 1/4" Masonite. All three were glued, though I know many others like the top layer to be nailed only. A removeable top can be changed out when it gets dinged up. Like you, I use bondo to patch mine when it gets chewed up.
The size is the full 4' X 8' panel, and I hard-edged it with 4/4 beech.
I love it. It works great, it's practical, and I never have been sentimental about workbenches. I want a workhorse, not a fine finish. I think that places me in the minority. I don't deliberately vandalize my workbench top, but no way would I endure the burdens of using one that I was afraid to scratch.