Small CNC Engraver - looking for opinions
Just wondering if anyone has any direct experience or comments on this small low cost CNC engraver kit.

http://store.cutedigi.com/diy-cnc-3-axis...gQodicEP3Q
I should also ask about the software, would one be able to export from Adobe Illustrator and write to the machine?
The possible laser attachment has some interest. On a Home automation list I am on they found a little $80 laser engraver they have been dialing in. Wonder what it would cost to go to something that can handle 3d carving on a z axis.
The travel envelope is probably too small to be useful.
The gantry is 220 mm long, which is about 8 inches.
But then you have to subtract the width of the carriage carrying the "router".
The router is 1.6 inches wide. so my guess is the carriage itself is about 3 inches.

So you are looking at being limited to 5 inches by 5 inches. (my guess)
Not only that, but it seems extremely light duty.. it says it can not do 3d carving.
Then you have to worry about the bearings in the "router" not being able to take axial loads (probably why you can't do it for 3d carving)
Also, the steppers being so small are limiting also.

It says it accepts Gcode, so I doubt it has any CAM / CAD or the ability to import drawings without extra software.
I would pass on this, use the $200 towards a better machine.
Thanks for the input.  It would be used only as an engraving machine and for making name tags.  Not looking to do any heavy duty work or real CNC cutting.  If you look, engraving machines are at least $2500 and this seemed like a potential alternative on the cheap.

Software and lack of support could be an issue, I'm sure there might be a forum somewhere.
Its intriguing. The steppers are probably right for its size and I'd have no worries on the motor bearings since the side loads are low.

It does not come with the Arduino for what I can see, so your costs are not complete. Add about $50. ($25 for the Arduino, plus power supply, USB board (maybe) and a few bits and bobs.)

***Correction, the control board is item 17***

It says it accepts G-code, so you just need a way to generate it. You can use sketchup in a pinch with a plug-in. I use that on my home-made CNC. I haven't found a way to do fonts well yet, but I haven't tried hard either. The fonts want to double carve, so I have to delete half the line segments. Proper software can get expensive.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
If I can find some free or low cost software to take in an Adobe Illustrator file and kick out G Code I'll probably give it a try.
This one is just part of a kit and not even a good one. A cheap 3d printer would probably be more complete and allow to to use a dremel tool to do the engraving. It would probably be more accurate. Then again, engraving well takes a better machine. One that doesn't have a lot of flex. That one and most cheaper 3D printers do have some flex. There is no force on the 3D print head, so it would not be as apparent as it would with a rotary tool.
Lee
Lee, I'm confused by your comment. From what I can see, the kit is complete from frame to steppers to controller.

While not as robust as something you would use, Considering the extruded aluminum frame, acme screws, and sleeve bearing guide rods, it appears to be robust enough for the intended job.

A cool thing would be to also adapt a 3D printer head and swap between lightweight cutting and printing.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
The application will really be just for routing out name badges for my girlfriends sign shop.  Some would just be routed to shape with vinyl over them, some might have the name engraved in plastic, some could be metal I guess.  Might be an application for cutting some small shapes out of plastic, nothing heavy duty and nothing where super accuracy is important.