developing a beginner hand tool class
I am developing a hand tool class for beginners and we've decided on building a simple shaker style end table, no drawer.  Here's the "lesson plan" as it stands so far. I'm looking for any and all input. I'll also update with more details as I work on it and get suggestion.  

Sections
1. Stock Prep
2. Layout
3. Joinery
4. Assembly

Stock Prep
  • I considered having students use hand saws to rough cut parts but decided against it. It would take a considerable amount of time (especially 1¼ in  legs) and sawing itself can be it’s own class. I’ll rough cut everything on the bandsaw so that there are still plenty of tool marks to remove with planes.
  • We’ll use full thickness material for legs and 4/4 for top and aprons. Should we use full width board for top? Maybe resaw board and have bookmatched top? This option would keep the need for edge jointing and gluing up top.
  • Take material to S4S
    • Intro class that i teach covers these skills
  • Finish class by gluing up top if that’s the way we go.

Layout - This section still needs lots of details about how to use tools and progression and how to approach layout tasks. ie. layout is relative to adjoining pieces and not necessarily about absolute measurements.
  • Work through using the different kinds of marking gauges as well a combination square
  • Layout everything before starting joinery
  • Layout leg taper - cut after joinery is finished

Joinery
  • Talk about M & T joint
  • Introduce and talk about chisels (bench vs. mortise, etc.)
  • Go through a few skill building tasks with chisels    Any suggestions for exercises?
  • Start by cutting mortises (right? Or should we start with tenons?)
    • Show method with both bench and mortise chisels
    • Have students practice on scraps before tackling final product
  • Move on to tenon
    • Show sawing vs. splitting w/ chisel
    • Use shoulder plane/block plane and show how to pare across grain with chisel to fine tune
    • LOTS of test fitting.

Assembly
  • Dry fit and check for square and any other problems
  • Attach table top    figure 8 fasteners or wooden cleats
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(01-23-2017, 03:42 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I am developing a hand tool class for beginners and we've decided on building a simple shaker style end table, no drawer.  Here's the "lesson plan" as it stands so far. I'm looking for any and all input. I'll also update with more details as I work on it and get suggestion.  

Sections
1. Stock Prep
2. Layout
3. Joinery
4. Assembly

Stock Prep
  • I considered having students use hand saws to rough cut parts but decided against it. It would take a considerable amount of time (especially 1¼ in  legs) and sawing itself can be it’s own class. I’ll rough cut everything on the bandsaw so that there are still plenty of tool marks to remove with planes. Emphasize that when working by hand for stock prep, it isn't always necessary to completely 4-square a piece.  Small variations in thickness of the aprons for example just get moved to the inside of the table so it looks even from the outside.  Likewise, no real need to make 0.001" shavings to smooth the inside faces except perhaps as practice.  The marking and cutting of tenons will also make it clear how to deal with non-uniform workpieces.
  • We’ll use full thickness material for legs and 4/4 for top and aprons. Should we use full width board for top? Maybe resaw board and have bookmatched top? This option would keep the need for edge jointing and gluing up top.  Go with a glued up top of two boards.  Resawing by hand is a good exercise but they may be dissapointed with the results and time if things wander.  Good alternative is some 5/4 material and just cut two pieces sequentially.  Plus you can be sure both halves have grain running (mostly) the same direction.  Easier to deal with than the guaranteed reverse of grain when you bookmatch.
  • Take material to S4S
    • Intro class that i teach covers these skills
  • Finish class by gluing up top if that’s the way we go.

Layout - This section still needs lots of details about how to use tools and progression and how to approach layout tasks. ie. layout is relative to adjoining pieces and not necessarily about absolute measurements.
  • Work through using the different kinds of marking gauges as well a combination square
  • Layout everything before starting joinery
  • Layout leg taper - cut after joinery is finished
  • Importance of a reference face vs. a show face.  When are they the same?  When are they not the same?  Good discussion of this in Robert Wearing's book "Essential Woodworker". 

Joinery
  • Talk about M & T joint
  • Introduce and talk about chisels (bench vs. mortise, etc.)
  • Go through a few skill building tasks with chisels    Any suggestions for exercises? Now I've forgotten the name of the little block that is an exercise in sawing and chiseling...  Bob Lang wrote about it.  
  • Start by cutting mortises (right? Or should we start with tenons?) Mortise first.
    • Show method with both bench and mortise chisels Just use a mortise chisel.  A single mortise chisel isn't expensive (5/16") and it is too easy to bust the bench chisel if people get a little to enthusiastic.
    • Have students practice on scraps before tackling final product Last round of such a class, I ended up making enough pieces to build three small table bases and two table tops.  One set of pieces was used for live demos but since there were more joints to cut, I let people practice on these pieces too.  Essentially, they got trashed.  The other two sets, one became the model table and so was always at least one session ahead and the third a completed table that could be examined to see how things looked when finished.  I've still got the model table to completely finish, its been languishing for a while now.  Went "cheap" on the materials for these.  Just the top and drawer front are cherry.  The rest is poplar that is painted with milk paint.  Sort of a contemporary look.  Borrowed that idea from some NBSS student project pictures.
  • Move on to tenon
    • Show sawing vs. splitting w/ chisel
    • Use shoulder plane/block plane and show how to pare across grain with chisel to fine tune I know you are looking for tools and a router plane may be out of the budget, but makes for a fantastic tenon fitting tool. 
    • LOTS of test fitting.

Assembly
  • Dry fit and check for square and any other problems
  • Attach table top    figure 8 fasteners or wooden cleats  Figure 8's are easier, but the wooden clips/cleats and button mortises are cooler.  A third option if including a drawer is to use screw through the kickers to secure the top.

Random comments in blue.  Based on running a few "build a small table with just handtools" classes.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
+1 with Rob's comments, especially about no need to go 4 S when working with hand tools.    A photo of the hidden sides of a colonial piece will really make that point.
What's the timeline associated with the lesson plan?

Are you providing sharpened/tuned tools?

Andy

-- mos maiorum
+ 1000 on Robs comments. He also sent me a really thorough write up on a similar class. With all his input I'll be able to put together a final draft 
 in no time. Thanks again Rob!

We haven't quite settled in on a timeline yet. One of my next steps is to build a model table myself and maybe recruit a novice to work through some of the steps with me. I'd like to see it come in under 10 hours total but we'll see. Students will have had to take my intro hand plane class before signing up for this one. Having the students already familiar with planes will be a big time saver.

I will be supplying all the needed tools and they will all be well tuned. I'll also be offering  a rehab and sharpening class and am thinking of offering a discount to the table class if they bring in their own tuned up tool. That would also help beef up the tool supply for the whole class. While I have a good collection of tools, they'll be stretched thin if the class fills up.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/