Thee Woodworking Show, Columbus
Steve, sorry to hear that about your experience at Woodwerks. I've always had a good experience there.  Salesmen are very knowledgeable, and I do believe it may be a family business, which I like.  I usually buy small supplies like sandpaper there once a year and it lasts for no more work than I do.  They usually have good deals on Whiteside, along with a punch card reward system, I believe if you make 20 purchases, you get a free bit?? Can't remember for sure.  I've bought a couple stationary tools there over the years as well.  A friend of mine shops there almost exclusively because of the customer service he received on his first visit.  If you do make the trip up, I feel it would be worth your time to at least stop in and look around.  Sorry to sound pushy, just my opinion.
Luke

Didn't really have a bad experience, they were just way overpriced for a couple of Dayton area hicks
Big Grin
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
George,

Glen and I are headed up Friday morning. We opted out of doing the shows this year because we're concentrating on a handful of new things we want to introduce for our members. Committing to the shows takes up a huge amount of time that leaves us on the catch-up treadmill for months after. We do miss seeing all the woodworkers that come out to the shows, and we even miss hanging out with the other educators, but we also like seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. 

We'll be walking around the show for a while on Friday, probably harassing Rollie or Jim, but most definitely harassing Ron Herman. If you, or anyone else spots us, be sure to say hello.
Chuck Bender

Woodworking Content Producer –Acanthus Workshop
Period Furniture Maker - Woodworking instructor

Hey Chuck, thanks for the heads up. I was fence sitting, but I'm off and don't have other plans, so I'll probably head up if the weather guy is right, and it all melts. I still haven't heard about being off for that class in May. Starting to get ticked with my Boss.

Hopefully see you guys soon.

GW
The New England show a couple weeks back was about the same as previous years. Not a bad days entertainment at about $25 per person including transportation.

In prior years, the seminars used to be staggered more. You could bail out part way thru one, if it wasn't appealing, and try another without missing the begining.
This year the majority are starting at the same interval times.

My kid loves to go for pen making supplies and free wet wood. He brought my cordless sawzall to cut up some of the wet outer slices from the wood mizer demonstration. These pieces are free for the taking so our car came home smelling of walnut and sycamore. At home he cuts out the usable portions and anchorseals the end grain. The scrap will end up on the burn pile.
My .02
Karl

(01-28-2017, 12:07 PM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: My kid loves to go for pen making supplies and free wet wood.  He brought my cordless sawzall to cut up some of the wet outer slices from the wood mizer demonstration.  These pieces are free for the taking so our car came home smelling of walnut and sycamore.  At home he cuts out the usable portions and anchorseals the end grain. The scrap will end up on the burn pile.

That's interesting, around here a lot of the sawyers split the bole, you and he split half the wood, you pay transport, and any blade breakage, but they always take the bark slabs for firewood sales. I was shocked one day at a WoodCraft demo, trying to drum up local business, the sawyer had a brand new WoodMizer, and he took half the cut, and all the bark (lousy firewood). It was a huge Ash, and the landowner came to the show to collect his half. They were done loading and there were 20 fairly big burl chunks the sawyer had whacked off as he started out, and they were still scattered all over the place. I asked if he was taking them, talking to both at once, and both said "what for". I cut a lot of it up into smaller straight pieces, and left a few whole and asked my Turner friend if he wanted any. It wasn't hard to find people to take any of it. What I kept was a few random pieces, that netted a small pile of usable slabs, some folks ripped them to pen blanks, some turned bowls. Everything I saw from them was amazing. Huh, what for.......
Big Grin

GW