Robland X31
The sliding table is nicely photographed in picture #5 of 7 posted by Joseph.

It is the so called small table.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(02-22-2017, 10:05 AM)MKepke Wrote: The sliding table is nicely photographed in picture #5 of 7 posted by Joseph.

It is the so called small table.

-Mark
I wondered what that little table was for, thought maybe something for the mortiser.  Do you know if parts are available for these machines?  I think this one is a mid 90's vintage from what I read and they modified the design over time.
(02-22-2017, 07:06 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: I wondered what that little table was for, thought maybe something for the mortiser.  Do you know if parts are available for these machines?  I think this one is a mid 90's vintage from what I read and they modified the design over time.
Parts are sorta/kinda available.

The updates on parts on the X31 Yahoo group last month was "Most of the X31 parts are still available. However, we [the US distributor] do not stock them. If you order parts, they will be shipped directly to you from Belgium. "

Consequently you may not want to buy anything very heavy.

That said, IME, the machine is pretty robust.  The stuff that is easily lost or damaged is usually pretty easy to replace with repurposed 3rd party stuff - although you do want to make sure you have the arbor bolt though, because that's NOT readily available  http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/X31/S...rench.html

I would check that all the major castings are present and in good condition, all the motors run and all major functions are operable - table slides, TS blade/shaper/planer table all go up and down, planer feed rollers can be engaged/disengaged.

Pretty much all the standard things you want to look for on a used machine, although since this is a 5-function machine, you have 4x as many things to look for (the jointer and planer share most of the same mechanicals so its 4x, not 5x ;-) ).

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
If anyone's considering this, I'll add that I used to own a X31, too.  

The 12" planer and jointer are great, the shaper is great, the TS is great, and if you use a horizontal borer, I'm sure that's fine or whatever.  

I'm posting to note that I had the small and large tables.  I built most of my jigs to fit the small table, thinking I'd keep the large one "clean."  Turns out, I had the small mounted almost all the time. Once I had it aligned perfectly (not trivial), I found myself using TS differently than a non-sliding one -- really clamping and fixing stuff to the table whenever possible.  Thus, the table size wasn't really relevant, though the Yahoo community will certainly make it seem like a significant upgrade.

EDIT: Funny, I'm the Peter T. in Mark's link above...