Ripping
(01-24-2017, 03:31 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: The Festool track saw is absolutely the most expensive way I have ever straightened the raw edge of rough lumber. No measuring, no fastening. Just lay the long guide on the edge and cut. All you need is a spare $700-800

Fixt

Just sayin'
$ is what usually stands in the way of us having the right stuff. But I have found that the track saw was one of my my very best tool investments. And one I use every day. Mine is the TS 55; bought the whole kit on c/l for $350.
Wood is good. 
oh I am not sure it is the "right" stuff. 

Fruits of about 3 hours labor 

not too long ago

[Image: P1010004-1.jpg]
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

ez-duzit Wrote:
The Festool track saw is absolutely the most expensive way I have ever straightened the raw edge of rough lumber. No measuring, no fastening. Just lay the long guide on the edge and cut. All you need is a spare $700-800

(01-24-2017, 03:40 PM)joe1086 Wrote: Fixt

Just sayin'

Not to mention your SOL if your board is longer than the rail, and the job requires that length
Big Grin

I do have a track saw though, but it's the good one, the DeWalt
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(01-24-2017, 05:19 PM)Steve N Wrote: ...your SOL if your board is longer than the rail...

Only for the unimaginative. After cutting the length of your long guide, simply slide the guide down the board, using a straightedge as its guide.
Wood is good. 
Oh yeah, that will always keep everything in Puuuuuuurfect alignment
Wink

You can also chalk the line, and just freehand it with a circular saw if all you do is frame construction. Lot's of ways to get there, just some of them are a tad more accurate than others.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Or saw it with your D-8 (Disston, not Caterpillar) and true it up with your #7.
(01-24-2017, 05:19 PM)Steve N Wrote: ez-duzit Wrote:
The Festool track saw is absolutely the most expensive way I have ever straightened the raw edge of rough lumber...

Not to mention your SOL if your board is longer than the rail, and the job requires that length ...
(01-24-2017, 07:29 PM)Steve N Wrote: Oh yeah, that will always keep everything in Puuuuuuurfect alignment...

Steve--besides misquoting me you also dis my proven methods, while having no experience of your own to back it up. Careful not to develop a reputation as an ankle biter.
Wood is good. 
Consider unplugging, and get one of these for $125, less for vintage........:

[Image: pax_rip_saw_26.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-25-2017, 09:54 AM)Admiral Wrote: Consider unplugging, and get one of these for $125, less for vintage........:

[Image: pax_rip_saw_26.jpg]

I've got the PAX 5-1/2tpi in the 28" length.  Consider the saw a kit, even at $125 because it wasn't sharp or set sufficiently to handle material thicker than 3/4".  But after tuning up, it is a beast.  I prefer overhandripping while standing up and would rather use a thumbhole Disston.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin