Dewalt 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion 1/4 in. Cordless Impact Driver
I am looking to purchase a Dewalt 20-Volt Lithium cordless Impact driver.  I have the Dewalt 20-Volt Lithium cordless drill, and really like it.  Any comments on this Impact driver?  I need something with more torque when driving deck screws and lag bolts.

Scott
Buy it . They are a game changer. Mine is the brushless model. I use Robertson screws. With offshore screws and bits, the fits and quality isn't what it once was. I was finding I was going through bits using a drill, just one slip and it would slip much more easily next screw. But with an impact driver, I'm still using the first bit !! I bought it to fit in between studs to add backing for a drywall hole. Mine is powerful, it will snap a #8 if I push too deep. After buying it, I bought the drill . I like the drill, I love the impact driver.
A man of foolish pursuits
Highly recommend you add the impact driver. Well worth the cost, and it sure makes it easy to drill then drive using the two tools together. Impact driver will extend the life of your bits, and the life of your drill.

Additionally, the 20V MAX system of batteries works across the full lineup of brushless AND brushed motor tools. This was something I specifically inquired about when I talked to a DeWalt rep recently. He was pretty clear that DeWalt also plans on retaining their current battery configuration and which tools it fits into for the next several iterations, which made me happy. I was getting very tired of buying a line of tools, and then have them change the battery pin set (not sure what the correct term is?) so that it couldn't be used in their next generation. Some of the pin sets can be altered to work, but most can't.

I plan on adding the string trimmer and hedge trimmer soon. I've also heard good things about the blower. I'll have 4 batteries and a couple chargers, one set in the garage, and another in the woodshop.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(01-24-2017, 02:33 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote:  He was pretty clear that DeWalt also plans on retaining their current battery configuration and which tools it fits into for the next several iterations, 

They do make an adapter for running the 20v li-on in the old 18 volt tools.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

8" x 3/8" lag bolts no pilot hole

I had this for decking before a lot of other brands jumped in This design cannot be beaten for speed, accuracy, and holding power. Almost as fast as you can walk.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
They work as well as any other brands drivers. Only thing you will notice is that the brushed one smells like burnt rubber when it runs. Must be something in their brushes. Just don't believe the 20 volt line. That's the marketing guys talking it up and to differentiate it from the nicad 18v as the lithium ones are really 18v as well.
I do not remember how old it was but Wood magazine had a run down of all the impact ones several months ago. I do not remember but the DeWalt was close to the top but not the top one.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
True they are both 18 volt but the lithium ion batteries do run longer. They say they don't age out or take on half charge memory.
A man of foolish pursuits
(01-25-2017, 04:33 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: True they are both 18 volt but the lithium ion batteries do run longer. They say they don't age out or take on half charge memory.

Yup. I haven't had any nicad tools in over 5 years as I could only get get a year out of them. Daily use and heat kill them. I have had lithium since and have yet to have have a battery go bad. Even ones bought 5 years ago work well. Nicad really doesn't have have a place in tools anymore.
The biggest issue is the platform.  I like the Dewalts but only have the 12-volt driver.  I bought 2 when they first came out.  The issue with them is they never came out with much more.  I had already invested in the Milwaukee M-18 platform and M-12, a great variety of tools.  Dewalt seems to be doing this with the 20-volt line.  So if you already have 1, go with the Dewalt.  I would pay the extra to go brush-less though. Dan