How to install new windows in alumimum siding.
I'm in the planning stages of installing 2 double hung windows in our dark master bedroom.

The house has aluminum siding.

I plan on using vinyl windows.

My concern is with damaging the aluminum siding while installing the window. I'd rather not have to remove any siding. If it were vinyl siding, I'd just pull off and re-install the siding but my experience with aluminum is that it is much less forgiving than vinyl. I'm hoping to do almost all of this work from inside the home, including cutting the hole, setting the studs and header. I'll probably put the windows in from the outside.

I have done one of these before but the hole was already there. I installed a Pella wood window with a nailing flange folded back into the opening. I jammed J-Channel up behind the siding and calked it to the window, The J-Channel wasn't nailed to the sheathing. 

I'm considering using "F" channel and nailing it to the studs and header (over house wrap). Then slide in a window without a flange. Shim and nail the window frame and caulk the "F" channel.

I hope this diagram explains what I'm considering. Am I on the right track?

[Image: 20170124_123410_zpsbcal7aqe.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(01-24-2017, 12:47 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: My concern is with damaging the aluminum siding while installing the window.

Here is what you need to focus on... I'm not sure it is possible.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Yea, I know. It's everything else that I'm not sure about

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

If you can do vinyl then aluminum is just as easy same kind of tools.
Thx Fixtureman,

After seeing this video, I feel a whole lot better about the job. If he can do it, I can do it. This will allow me to get around the opening and properly flash the windows. And I can use a nailing flange.

Link

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Aluminum is a bit more fussy but take your time, use the right tools and it is no big deal. I have put in probably close to 200 windows in aluminum siding. It was always best to just take it off, number the pieces so they go back in order and then put them back on.

With the window flanges of today and then putting window tape over the flanges, there really is no way to not take the siding off and get the windows really super waterproof.