Woodsmith Magazine
Woodsmith magazine only uses content created in-house.  We have a team of designers who design all of the projects, editors then work alongside our shop craftsmen to build the projects, and our in-house photographers build sets and photograph the projects.  It's all done in-house.  No freelancers.  No exceptions. No outsiders touch the content until it's sent out to be printed.

Source - I work there.  
Wink

Also, it's true that Cruz Bay Publishing (Active Interest Media) purchased the company in 2015...but absolutely nothing has changed when it comes to how the magazine is created.  In fact, there are some pretty exciting things coming in late 2017 and in 2018.  

Brian
Having been a subscriber for many years and have enjoyed reading it, I will probably not renew my subscription. I will most likely never build any of the projects shown.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I write for Woodworker's Journal, Woodcraft and sometimes even Wood magazines. 
Back in 2000 when I started WWJ was the only one that was willing to use freelancers.

Now most (but not all) will at least discuss it with you.

Feel free to PM me and I will be happy to have a phone call with you and discuss how you can increase your chances. I will also introduce you via email to editors I know.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Thanks to all.

Interesting thread.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
(08-11-2017, 02:43 PM)brianvanh Wrote: Woodsmith magazine only uses content created in-house.  We have a team of designers who design all of the projects, editors then work alongside our shop craftsmen to build the projects, and our in-house photographers build sets and photograph the projects.  It's all done in-house.  No freelancers.  No exceptions. No outsiders touch the content until it's sent out to be printed.

Source - I work there.  
Wink

Also, it's true that Cruz Bay Publishing (Active Interest Media) purchased the company in 2015...but absolutely nothing has changed when it comes to how the magazine is created.  In fact, there are some pretty exciting things coming in late 2017 and in 2018.  

Brian

I knew August Home had been sold, just thought it was more recent. So then the new owners are the ones who dropped Shop Notes? I liked it, never saw a reason to keep getting WoodSmith, mostly outdated looking styles, and all that Oak, yeckkkk. At the time they said that Shop notes would live on inside of WoodSmith, ehhh, all I see are old styles done in bad Oak.

Did they keep any numbers of how that move affected total $$$$$$$ bottom line?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(08-11-2017, 02:43 PM)brianvanh Wrote: Woodsmith magazine only uses content created in-house.  We have a team of designers who design all of the projects, editors then work alongside our shop craftsmen to build the projects, and our in-house photographers build sets and photograph the projects.  It's all done in-house.  No freelancers.  No exceptions. No outsiders touch the content until it's sent out to be printed.

Source - I work there.  
Wink

Brian

Brian

I love watching you guys on IPTV on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  It is the same material from awhile ago but then you now explain things better.

I do not know if you guys know this, but your magazine was the biggest influence on me getting here and woodworking.
My wife brought me the magazine when I was in the hospital after I was in a bombing in the middle east and transferred here to Creighton for the rest of my care.  I like the articles and it had a link to this forums and the help I got from everyone here made me a long time customer.

I was bummed when ShopNotes stopped and asked to go to the Guild edition instead of my money back, however, if you ever do get it back I would love to switch back again.

Thank you for what you do with woodworking and starting this forum. 
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Just to add it wasn't just a man's world. Ephram Jr's mother started the Julliard School and one of his daughters (Stephanie) had the role of Laura Holt on the Remington Steele series as well as many other TV and movie roles. EZ Sr. was a concert violinist.

Steve N - The last issue of Shopnotes was published in late 2014...about a year before the company was sold.  So that decision was made prior to the acquisition in October of 2015.
(08-13-2017, 11:59 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Brian

I love watching you guys on IPTV on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  It is the same material from awhile ago but then you now explain things better.

I do not know if you guys know this, but your magazine was the biggest influence on me getting here and woodworking.
My wife brought me the magazine when I was in the hospital after I was in a bombing in the middle east and transferred here to Creighton for the rest of my care.  I like the articles and it had a link to this forums and the help I got from everyone here made me a long time customer.

I was bummed when ShopNotes stopped and asked to go to the Guild edition instead of my money back, however, if you ever do get it back I would love to switch back again.

Thank you for what you do with woodworking and starting this forum. 
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Arlin,

Thank you so much for this message...and thank you so much for your service to our great nation.  We're all thankful that you made it home, and we're happy that you've found so much join in being a part of the Woodsmith family.  

Brian