Refinishing trim in house
So..why do we want to paint oak and make it look like cheap mdf trim?

I would keep it with a clear finish.  Worst case that's strip, neutralize, sand, stain and top coat.

Large items like doors are a hassle, esp if they have a lot of moldings.  You might have a company nearby with a dip (stripping) tank.

-Mark, the contrarian
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(01-24-2017, 10:14 PM)UperJ Wrote: Hi all - newb here but been following for years on-off. Finally registered and need help!
I have 3 floors of '60 era oak trim (golden oak like stain)  in our home and we want to either replace it or if feasible paint it.
If we were to paint it would I need to sand it all down, just rough it up or ??
Also not sure if I can get by using latex or if I have to use oil based primer and paint ??

Similar issue with the doors - 13 of them total. I could pull the doors  the stuff but imagine it'd be a mighty spending amount to replace it all.
off but hoping to do this with trim in place - mainly due to the fact there are a zillion nails in it and the walls are plaster.

Anyone have thoughts on this or had to do it? I haven't even added up all the LF if I replaced it all - ugh. Cost be high but if that's the solution so be it.

Thanks so much for any feed back

You realize it's a mortal sin to paint finished oak right?  
Wink

Is the existing film in bad shape?

I had a houseful of cheap trim that had been painted a gazillion times, the last time without cleaning the dirt off. 
Uhoh

It was easier to pull it all out and install new than to refinish.

Saying all that, I would try real hard to save the existing finish.
chris
Thanks for all the feedback and advice y'all! Been sicker than a mutt with rabies so the first time I've been out of bed was last night --- ugh.

The oak here is in great shape - that is the fact. The issue around here when it comes to selling is pretty simple sadly - if it isn't maple it gets trimmed out white. Spent last fall walking through the new construction build and renovated - it didn't matter if it was the $560K home or the $2M. And closer to 90% white. It's different.

That Mary Tyler Moore place they shot in footage off Kenwood Ave here in Mpls - that's been on market for 3 years at that -  I guess turned off all buyers as to dark. My SIL had buyer put in offer yesterday - with conditions. Seller paints the trim.

No I do not get it but it is want most buyers want.
Weird
(01-29-2017, 09:46 AM)UperJ Wrote: Thanks for all the feedback and advice y'all! Been sicker than a mutt with rabies so the first time I've been out of bed was last night --- ugh.

The oak here is in great shape - that is the fact. The issue around here when it comes to selling is pretty simple sadly - if it isn't maple it gets trimmed out white. Spent last fall walking through the new construction build and renovated - it didn't matter if it was the $560K home or the $2M. And closer to 90% white. It's different.

That Mary Tyler Moore place they shot in footage off Kenwood Ave here in Mpls - that's been on market for 3 years at that -  I guess turned off all buyers as to dark. My SIL had buyer put in offer yesterday - with conditions. Seller paints the trim.

Weird

Wow. No accounting for taste. 

Well, if you do paint it, please don't tell me...... 
No
chris
(01-29-2017, 09:46 AM)UperJ Wrote: Thanks for all the feedback and advice y'all! Been sicker than a mutt with rabies so the first time I've been out of bed was last night --- ugh.

Weird

are you trying to please potential future buyers or yourself?
doesn't seem it would be too hard, if in the future you want to sell, to paint over the trim.