Black LP pipe need protection in garage?
I just added a door into a staircase in my garage as a storage area. A 3/4" LP gas line runs along the back wall in this storage area. At the end wall it makes a 90* turn (so it is then off the wall for a foot, before it exits the area). Do I need to protect the pipe from accidental bumps? Does code require protection?

Thanks,  

Fred
I would. Continuous banging the door against it can crack the threads.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
What are you protecting against?

And I agree with the above; repeated banging isn't good.  But if someone will drive a car into it, you'll need bollards set into or bolted to the concrete floor.  If a heavy guard is attached to the wall and someone taps it with a car, it may break the wall as well as crack the pipe fittings.  A broken wall and a garage filling with natural gas isn't going to be much fun.  
Eek
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Is it safe to assume we are talking black IRON pipe ?   If so I agree with what is bumping it and how well is it supported now,  before and after the 90 ?    A 2 lb box or a 100 lb box falling on it would be a major difference.    Something to protect it will not hurt anything so why not.    Roly
To make things clear, it is completely under an enclosed area beneath the stairs going up to the attic. No car near it. The door opens out (no bumps). The bumping would be someone moving items to be stored under the stairs.
I would still put a nerf bar around or in front of it. In case someone shoves something against it. But that's me.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I decided to go ahead and block it off. Gotta be safe!

Thanks,
Fred
I don't like it exposed too much as the steel pipe is strong but the threads and cast fittings are not. The threads are sharp c points on the pipe and they can easily break at one of those points with vibration or flex. Have seen more than a few pipes used for air lines break that way.